Dissapointed and need advice pdq

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kyle7630, Jan 18, 2011.

1. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    I just got my eggs from the mail man. First time I've ever ordered and had them shipped. Out of 18 eggs, 6 were busted, 4 were dry and the rest were covered in the juices from the busted 6. My immediate concern is how to properly care for the eggs that are covered in juice before I put them in the incubator. My next question is; is this normal, and what usually happens with the situation? Does the post office do anything about this. The seller wrapped each egg in bubble wrap, put them in a carton, wrapped it in chem wipes, put in the shipping box with some plastic bags around it. I'm so dissapointed right now. What do I do about the wet eggs?

2. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    I would rinse them in cool water and use your fingers to get as much of the gunk off as possible then blot dry with a paper towel. Do not use soap! Good luck! Sounds like they had a rough ride. I hope they didn't get to shaken in their trip.....
    ETA I would candle and check for hairline cracks in them as well. They can be patched with candle wax but you need to catch them early.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  3. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Wipe the eggs off with a damp towel, did you purchase insurance on the eggs?

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    The post office automatically insures packages up to $100. You have to take the package to the post office & show them the damage. then show them what you paid for the eggs. The won't reemburse for shipping but should for the cost of the eggs.

They will keep all the eggs & you will have to order new ones.

Unfortunatly thats how they opperate. If it were a CD player or TV they would keep the busted one there as well & give you the $$.

Anything over $100 will require a seperate insurance purchase.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

My understanding was that the PO insurance did not cover eggs at all an broken eggs were between the buyer an the seller...

6. kyle7630

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    Well, the seller stated on the auction that they were not responsible for the eggs once shipped. I personally would try to do something if I were the seller, but that's not my call and not what I agreed to. I will be a good sport and not complain to the seller, but have already let them know what happened. I will take any eggs offered if they offer them, and be happy otherwise. Honestly, I'm only out three eggs because the seller put two extras in there for me. I am just dissapointed knowing that my already low hatch percentage because of shipping will be reduced further by a minimum of 35 percent. This is not what I had in mind for a first try. So dissapointed. At this rate I'm afraid that the others were probably damaged as well. I'm normally upbeat and happy, but man, what a effin downer. Don't think it's the sellers fault, but I have lost a great deal of confidence in our postal system.

7. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I know what you mean. My eggs were in at the local post office at 6:30 am & I called & said I wanted to come pick them up. They told me no & then left a card asking me to come & pick up 1 box in the afternoon + they left the other box in the snow on my porch in 10* weather.

I just wish there was a better way.

I think from now on I'm posting a wanted in central Illinois ad here & on craigslist looking for the breeds I want. Someone close enough to drive to. Oh- two of my eggs were broken.

8. kyle7630

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    Good thing is, the seller is being real cool about it. That's more than I could hope for at this point.

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I called the po a couple of times and was told that they will insure whatever is in the box, but the only was you get your insurance money is if the box is damaged. If the box is fine but the stuff inside is busted, then you don't get any insurance money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by