Dissapointed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Joyryder, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    I have 11 EE hens. 2 of them layed an egg yesterday and both eggs were light brown. I really wanted blue and green eggs. Cross your fingers for me, as I still have 9 hens to lay.
    BTW, they didn't lay the eggs in the box. Can I use plastic easter eggs as decoys?

2. banks

banks Chillin' With My Peeps

By all means use a decoy.

They will catch on Hopefully

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Use blue plastic eggs, maybe they'll get the hint [​IMG]

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

That's the problem with EEs...there's no guarentee if they'll lay a colored egg.

5. kelidei

kelidei ~*Dances with chickens*~

Mar 18, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    This brings to mind something I read somewhere--- and for the life of me now I cannot remember where I read it but it said that you can guess the color the EE will lay by leg color--- Blue, slate legs--- blue eggs, green legs-- green eggs--- I thought it sounded kind of old wives tale-ish--- but what the heck--- thought I'd ask. [​IMG]

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:doesn't work, have the proof in my back yard! lol!

7. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    Quote:I like that!

8. mzrea

mzrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Vermont
    I feel your pain. I have four ees. One lays a brown eggs, one a pinkish (not much different then some of the lightest brown eggs my BRs lay) AND one lays a green egg. The fourth, although she is 29 weeks old has yet to lay! [​IMG].

9. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    We just got our first EE eggs too. I put golf balls in the nest boxes and they did lay the eggs there.
    We gave 9 hens and two roos 20 weeks old , so far two bluish green eggs [​IMG]

[​IMG] that you'll have some other colors in there [​IMG]

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel for you too! I have 3 26 week old EE girls. Only one has been laying, about 5 eggs a week, for the past 3 weeks. Yes, they all have greenish legs. She lays light tan eggs. I have plastic eggs in our 4 nest boxes (and have for a couple weeks before she first started laying - and yes, they're even blue! lol) but she still insists in using the back corner of the coop, under the droppings board near the feeder! I'm hoping that if the other girls ever start laying, or my younger 21 week olds start, that they'll use the nest boxes and maybe my EE will catch on to the fact that the nest box will be much nicer to use, and safer for the egg too![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by