Dissapointing hatch-bacteria in Styro bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhensny, Mar 14, 2011.

1. happyhensny

happyhensny Brown Barns Farm

Sep 23, 2008
    near Albany, New York
    I was given 2 stryo bators last year. Used. I hatched in Hovabators in prior years that I borrowed from 4-H and had great hatch rates. Since I have used these two, 3 hatches last year and one this year, the results are awful. The chicks that hatch are slow to thrive and then I have chicks that pip and greenish fluid comes out and then they die. Needless to say these are in the trash and I have ordered 2 new Brinsea Eco's. Does anyone know if there is a bacteria or virus in the styrofoam that dosen/t die when I sanitize with bleach. A week or so prior to hatch I put them in the tub with hot water and bleach to clean and use a paper towel in the solution and wipe down everything else.

2. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Songster

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    just guessing but I'd say it was an egg problem. Sometimes I've had similar problems when my eggs were covered with other egg yolk when it broke on them. I never let egg sit on my other eggs and will take the risk of rinsing them off before setting them when this happens. I'll be interested in hearing other's opinion, ideas and knowledge on this subject.

3. happyhensny

Sep 23, 2008
    near Albany, New York
    I have recieved eggs from others in the mail, used some of my own so there has been a large variety of eggs the I have tried to hatch.

4. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    between alcohol and bleach you will kill most bacteria a coupla days of UV ( sunshine) helps too

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  5. rebel yell

rebel yell Songster

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:Dont use alcohol on a styro. bator it will eat right through it !!!!!

6. happyhensny

Sep 23, 2008
    near Albany, New York
    My eggs were supposed to hatch on Saturday 3/12. 4 chicks hatched Saturday, 4 more Sunday, today I opened the incubator to throw everything away because of the "diseased" dead chicks and heard peeping so I quickly pulled out the bad ones and closed it back up. Just got home and 1 chick hatched and another is pipped and no slimy stuff. So strange.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: