Dissinfectant for cleaning the coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lmz534, Aug 18, 2011.

1. lmz534

lmz534 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Trying to figue out a safe cleaning solution for my chick run. I change shavings every other week (run holds 6 birds). When I strip shavings can I use a mild bleach solution to clean the vinyl mats beneath? Can I use that on nest boxes too? I was afraid to get any of the dissinfectant solutions available at TSC, Don't like the idea of harsh chemicals. Any help would be appreciated!

Proud momma of two human kids, 1 German Shepherd, 1 housecat, 1 TB horse, 2 Holland lops, 1 pet Buckeye hen and 3 White Orp pullets.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    A mild bleach solution should work as long as it is dry by the time the chickens go back in. That way there won't be any fumes.

3. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    If you have a Sams that your are a member.. go and get Odor ban... it is fantastic.. kills everything including some serious virus.. but here the great part totally safe for birds and animals.. they dont have to be removed from the area..

smells great cleans EVERYthing... really do yourself a favor and buy some you will love it and prob like me never switch to anything else..

I have only found it at Sams..

)O(
    Pink

4. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    Maybe try vinegar, thats what I use for cleaning just about everything. It is a little smelly though

5. lmz534

lmz534 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2011
    Thanks guys! I like the odor ban idea a lot, I have a Sam's 20 minutes away. Sounds like it will be worth the trip!

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I've never used anything but a bleach solution. I sweep up all shavings, use an old dust mop on the cobb webbs. I then use one of those insect sparyers to spray all in the coop with the bleach solution. Keep birds out about a half hour.

7. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:a while back ,. back when I was a heavy smoker. 1-2 pks a day.. well the cig's tried to kill me and I got double pneumonia in a 10hr on slot.. really fast , went onto congestive heart problems I lost 2 weeks of my life in ICU I don't remember anything.

the damage to my lungs was really bad.. that was 7 years ago and If im around amonia, bleach, pesticides, spray cleaners , grease fire smoke. things like that,, my lungs feel like they are being smashed. STill.. so I go with odor ban because it kills everything and doesn't hurt me either..

)O(
    Pink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by