distance between top roost and vent

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by QuispamChiks, Apr 11, 2011.

1. QuispamChiks

QuispamChiks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Quispamsis
    Coop design still on paper, must easier and cheaper that way [​IMG] the whole measure twice cut once thing!

Placing roosts along front wall as high as I can and want to leave room to ceiling and a vent along front wall.
    2 dimension questions

Curious how much space to ceiling from roost (headroom) and

also how far down from vent to avoid getting a draft on girls on roosts.
    Thanks all!

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

[​IMG]

dont know the answer so will hang around a while to see what comes up. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Here's what I did.

This is the back vent, the one I leave open in summer but shut down in winter:

[​IMG]

Here's the front vent, the one I leave open or partly open in winter. Since I took this picture, I built an awning style flap to go over it, similar to the flap on the back vent, so I could adjust the opening:

[​IMG]

The winter vent is about 8 feet away from the roost in horizontal space, and a little more than a foot over chicken level in vertical space, because of the slant in the roof:

[​IMG]

Couple of things to consider. I have tiny bantams who are a lot shorter than standard size chickens, and our winters are pretty mild here in North Texas.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:For regular ol' full-sized chicken breeds, you absolutely need at least 12-14" and closer to 18-24" is a lot better. More if you will be in a cold climate and there is ANY question of ceiling being freezy.

also how far down from vent to avoid getting a draft on girls on roosts.

It so depends on your climate - dunno where you're located or what your winters are like.

For summertime, anything is fine (draft on roost in summer is called "cooling breeze" [​IMG])

For winter in cold regions, you just plain don't WANT a vent open above the roost, distance is irrelevant. Ideally, for the North, whatever vents are open in cold wintertime would be NOT near the roost, and on the downwind side(s) of the building. Note this may change as weather swings 'round.

OTOH for winters in somewhere like Miami, for wintertime see my comments above for summertime <g>.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

5. QuispamChiks

QuispamChiks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2011
    Quispamsis
    Thanks for pointers Pat,
    As to the Climate, (as a fellow Canuck), I am in New Brunswick we know we have to be hardy because we will have what? 6 or 7 months of winter?[​IMG]
    I am thinking of a sloped roof to shed off snow, and will place roosts to front (high end) as well I will place vent high up on front end but with a door to close in winter.
    I will place cross vent on low end that I can open for winter.
    Thanks for tips!
    Will get photos posted as permission limit is reached,
    12 yr old daughter well involved as it is "her" school science fair project.
    G

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by