Distance chicks travel ...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mumofsix, Feb 26, 2014.

1. mumofsix

mumofsix Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Appalachian
    After reading a lot of post ,and I've enjoyed them all .! I got my brain to wandering just where are the Hatcheries? Tractor Supply told me their chicks come from Mt Healthy. So I Googled several to my House . I live in Pike County Ky and It really took my breath away that those little fellows travel that far .[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Here is what I found Murray McMurray Webster City,Ia =860 miles away Meyer Hatchery Polk ,Ohio =337 miles away Mt. Healthy Cincinnati Ohio =245 miles away I had already place a order to come March 17 before I found out all this . [​IMG]Also planning to try to get a few[​IMG] Ameraucans pullets at TC .

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Ideal is a large hatchery in Texas that also ships great nembers of chicks, just to name one other. They can live for 3 days after hatch on yolk absorbed during hatch. Obviously, there will be mishaps, but the vast majority of shipped chicks survive shipping. Read in our Learning Center how to help them through the first few days after shipping, if you wish, and read an excellent article HERE about problems faced by newly hatched chicks and how to deal with them. Also, research your area to see whether there are any good breeders locally who sell chicks, where you can pick up your chicks. You can try Google or check out our Buy Sell Trade forum.

Happy chickening!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by