Distance quails / chickens

Discussion in 'Quail' started by konjo, Nov 15, 2010.

1. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    What would be a good distance to keep quails / chickens apart ?

Thanks,

2. Hooligan Farm

Hooligan Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Burlington County, NJ
    From what I hear its 10ft but don't quote me on it [​IMG]

3. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I didn't raise any quail this year, but the other years my quail pens are 8' away from the chicken pen.

I have seen cages inside other people's coops. Quail are kinda messy eaters so maybe the thought was that the chickens would clean up after them? I know my free range critters hung out under the feeders.

4. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Great thanks for the info. I need to see if I can fit them on the side of the house. City living SUCKS !!!!

Thanks,

5. CARS

I must ask why you ask the question??

I know in some areas where Blackhead is present, you want to separate your turkeys and chickens but I have never heard of separating quail. Maybe the little guys would get beat up if they were in the same pen but never heard of a "buffer area" between the two.

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    People, thats not very far. Air born travel farther than that. But I don't know. My hen house and run is more than 25 feet from the quail pens and I wonder about that.

7. CARS

Quote:I haven't been on BYC much this summer, but this is all new to me.

If you are worried about disease I don't think it matters if it is 8' or 100'. At least it doesn't in the confinement operations. One barn gets it and they all have problems.

My Peefowl, Turkeys, Chickens, Rabbits, Cats, and Quail (when I have them) are all in a 35' X 60' Barn in separate pens/cages.

8. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I'm not worried about it. But some people have lost their whole flocks on here so the advice is to keep them separate. I know some one with the proper links will show up sooner or later on this one. Give him time.

9. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I'm choosing to stick with just quail to avoid problems. I figure that takes care of the whole issue. Of course, I wouldn't MIND some serama or silkie chickens, BUT I'd rather stick with happy, healthy quail. I kind of like the little dorks. (One of them is officially a dork at the moment. He was squawking away like something was trying to wring his neck. Of course, when I opened the door he STOPPED and hasn't done it again. So, I still don't know who it was.)

10. konjo

konjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    I was planning to start up with some quail I have chickens but 1 died about 3 days ago 1 left and quail eggs have so more to offer and look like they are much healther

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by