Distended Belly in Baby Chick? Help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jessmeagan, Mar 27, 2017.

1. jessmeagan

jessmeagan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2016
    I'm a first time baby chick owner- we've had a back yard flock for a few years now after adopting adult hens. Over time some of died or been casualty of our free ranging. So we only have one buff orphington left and decided to get some new girls to keep her company.

We picked up 6 chics at the local feed supply 4 days ago (2 buff orphington, 1 giant black, 1 Chochin, 1 Brahmas, and 1 australorp) all have been doing well minus one that was sneezing a lot and had pasty butt. I've been adding unflavored pedialite to their water and the sneezing has disappeared. They are eating medicated starter feed and the brooder had pine shavings covered in paper towels.

While they were outside For their first exploration today I noticed that the youngest one (Brahmas) had a distended belly between her legs under the vent. It is red but so is the rest of her so I'm not sure that means anything yet? She's eating, drinking, pooping, and walking just fine. She seems to sleep more than the others and is independent but she's also the smallest. I believe they are about 2 weeks old since they have some wing feathers but the rest is still fluff and are so small. Not sure if this is something I can do anything about or if I just need to wait it out and see if it is normal?

I've tried to attach some photos but it's hard to get her and take a photo with the other hand since she won't turn over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by