Distillers Grains Caution

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Oregon Blues, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    This is not yet proven, but the animal pathology lab at Penn State University is seeing some problems with kidney failure in ducks do to ethanol byproducts in the feed.

They are listed in the ingredients as "distillery grains". Apparently, you can no longer assume that distillery grains are a byproduct of a brewery.

There will need to be a lot more research to prove it, but I suggest that you not put your ducks at risk until the results are all in.

The byproduct of ethanol distilling has not caused any problem with chickens. Just ducks.

I took that information out of The Poultry Press, Feb issue.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I would have never guess that. Thank you very much for the heads up [​IMG]

3. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

thanks for the heads up

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Did they list any particular brands that are using them?

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If your feed contains distillers grains, then ask the company that makes the feed.

I suspect that it is most likely companies that are located close to where ethanol is distilled. But that is not verified.

The distillers grains from beer making and whiskey making have been used for centuries as animal feeds with no problems. I have no idea why distilling ethanol would be any different.

I'm cautious with my animals, so until the final studies are in, I will avoid the suspect product. Who knows? Maybe it is not the ethanol grains. Maybe it was one bad batch. Maybe it will turn out to be something else. But why risk it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by