Distinguishing Fertilized Eggs from Non-Fertilized Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Preservation Acres, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    What's the best way to do this?

2. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  3. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    GREAT! Thanks!

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hey, Preservation!

Are you in town yet? I wonder everytime I drive by the middle school. [​IMG]

The bullseye trick is great. Crack some and look. It's really interesting!

A quick hijack- I think two of this last hatch are boys. They are silver laced wyandotte x buff orp. They are absolutely gorgeous chicks and look to be stunning roosters (if they get their daddy's size). I'm full up on roos though. Would you by chance want one? Here's a chick pic-

[​IMG]

Both boys-
    [​IMG]
    One looks to be a rosecomb and one a single comb.

5. Preservation Acres

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:Oh, thanks so much for the offer, but I'm not ready yet. I'm still in Texas, and I'm leaving for Tennessee TOMORROW!!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!

My wife and kids are so excited, not to mention me! Anyway, I need to get to TN, build my coop, yada, yada, yada. In the meantime, we'll be living in a house in Murfreesboro in the Riverview subdivision off of Thompson lane. AS MUCH AS I'D LOVE TO HAVE THEM, I'm sure my neighbors would freak if I brought chickens to that house! :)

I can't wait to hit the road tomorrow. It's been a LOOOOONG 7 months away from my family.

CUTE BIRDS!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Not a problem! I wasn't sure how soon you'd be up to speed. I'm just trying to find a good home for the little cuties. I so wish they were girls! They're only 4 weeks old, so I'm kinda jumping the gun on rehoming. I figure I can keep them around for another month or so anyway. They're so sweet!

Congrats on heading back to TN!
    [​IMG]

7. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I've seen the post on the little bullseye but I have 25 eggs in the incubator none of them have any exterior markings of any kind. However when I candled at 10 days 23 showed embryos. If you have a rooster doing what roosters do- they are fertile.

8. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    The bullseye mark is on the yolk on the inside. Yeah... it makes it hard to figure out what's fertile when putting them under a hen or in the bator. I just periodically check the eggs I'm cracking to eat to see if they're fertile. I figure then we're good on the ones that need to hatch.
    Wouldn't it be nice is the outside came labeled with fertility, gender and the hen it popped out of? That'd make my life a LOT easier!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by