Distraught - 3 chicks killed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chicknerd, May 17, 2010.

1. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    Hi Everyone

I am so distraught. I was away for three days with my son and on the second day my husband came home from a trip and the dog (who should not have been inside) had gotten into one of the brooders and accidentally killed 3 chicks (all four weeks old), including my favorite Martha. I am devastated. I don't blame the dog, she young and big, and I know she was just curious. My husband said there was minimal injuries. Somehow she managed to open a door to get to them and then open the cover of the brooder.

My husband was almost in tears when he called me Friday night. It was so sad to coming home last night. The other six are fine. He buried them on Saturday. I cant blame anyone, the weather was bad Wed and I am sure my dog sitter brought the dog in because it was wet.

[​IMG]

Soon they will be in their coop and well fenced run.

Deb

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I am so sorry to hear that. It's a fear of mine too since my one corgi is so interested in the chicks and I have the littler ones in the house. Luckily corgis are short legged dogs and she can't reach where I have the brooders.

I guess we all need to brace ourselves for losses but to lose your favorite....that's so sad. Take care. [​IMG]

4. KirstenRichter

KirstenRichter Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2009
    Tucson
    I am sorry for your loss. I love my hens like little kids with feathers. A big hug to you from all of us here in Tucson![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by