Distraught...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sunne73, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Sunne73

Sunne73 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Its day 22 and still no hatch, not even a pip. I swear that I heard pecking the last two nights but nothing came of that and I can't trust my eyesight or sanity if there is any real movement of the eggs. If they are pecking and not breaking through are they too weak? How long does the air space provide enough air? Did they dry out or drown? You wouldn't think that there was much science to sitting under a chickens arse for 21 days but apparently there is.
    So what do I do now and what should I do the next time? I know the eggs were alive and moving when I started this on the 30th. I kept the temp at 100-101 and humidity at 30 for the first 18 days and then raised the humidity to 70 at lockdown and I have checked the incubator every hour that I was home to make sure everything was ok. What did I do wrong?

2. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    If you started on the 30th.... How is this day 22? I'm confused...

3. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Well, i am very sorry. I know how terrible it feels to turn and wait for 21 days and have nothing. I dont really know what you did wrong, it all sounds good.
    Keep waiting, you could still get something. I would say wait another 3 days, just to be safe!
    I am so sorry. I hope God will prevail and help them hatch after all.

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Don't give up!!! The first hatch of mine were late ! Didn't start till day 23! I was getting discouraged and I looked one more time and there was a pip then another and another! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Assuming your day-count is correct and maybe you're just referring to the 30th as being the last day you candled them before going into lockdown?

If that's the case, I'd still be patient. It sounds like your temps/humidity are right on. What kind of set-up do you have, and have you ever tested the internal settings with another thermometer or hygrometer to make sure your readout is correct?

I hope this is just a case of them showing up late for their own party. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by