Distress or just - gasp - annoying?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by llnmaw, Feb 27, 2013.

1. llnmaw

llnmaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    We picked up 3 babies today, guessing 2 day olds. Everyone was happy for about 4 hours and for the last hour or so our little barred rock will not shut up! She is also trying to escape...trying to squeeze though the wire of the brooder, which is a bunny cage. I don't *think* she can actually fit. .

So I am wondering if all her loud screeching is a distress call or is she just terribly vocal and we should get ear plugs?! She has short periods of quiet and will fall asleep, but it really seems as though when she is awake she is yelling at us! She is eating, drinking, pooping and moving around. She likes to be cuddled. The other 2 are fine, sleeping and eating/drinking. Brooder is just shy of 90 so I put a blanket over the top and sides to trap a bit more heat.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Some baby chicks are just loud. But it is usually that they are cold.

But:

here are some other things it could be:
    cold
    coccidiosis
    internal defect and chick is in pain

The one chick I had like that died and I never knew why.

For the first week of life 90-95 is a good brooder temp (with the ability to get away from the heat).

I hope your little one becomes happier!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't think it has anything to do with the vocalization, but please be sure your chicks can get to an area of room temp. They're not meant to be 90+degrees all the time, they just need access to that warm an area.

4. llnmaw

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    oh, I hope she does not die! I hope she is just a very vocal little thing and will settle eventually.

They can get out of the heat. The light is in the corner of a 2.5 ft X 2 ft cage.

The other 2 seem quite content so I didn't think it was a temperature thing.

Thanks for your thoughts....

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I think the blanket on top and sides is holding in too much heat. If she were cold she would be laying close to or on top of the other chicks.

6. llnmaw

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    I have two thermometers in the brooder. One under the light and the other at the opposite end near the gate (the area covered with a blanket). It is 92 under the lamp and 64 by the gate. They can be hot or cold or anywhere in between - plenty of options! They rarely hang under the lamp, mostly just out of the direct line of the bulb.

We did chicks 2 years ago and they were, and still are, really mellow chickens. I'm pretty convinced now that this one is just very vocal/dramatic. She has settled down quite a bit but is still louder than the other 2. I think this little one is always going to be challenging!

7. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    My barred rock chicks are very vocal as well compared to my other chicks... and they seem to be perfectly healthy [​IMG].

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

LOL you have yourself a little diva!

9. llnmaw

Feb 22, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    Oh man do I!!!

She is mellow happy and content all day long, but every night without fail she begins this super loud shrieking and makes big attempts to escape! She has actually managed to squeeze through the wire 3 times now. I've had to rig up the crate by weaving rolled up newspapers through 3-4 rows. She is STILL trying to escape - but only at night.

Glad to know she is just super spunky and not sick...

10. Lerette Hens

Lerette Hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    are you giving them the right amount of vitamins in their water.. Too much can overdoes them.. That's what happened to mine..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by