Distressed Baby Chick

TeamJx4

Hatching
Jan 18, 2022
Good day, fellow chick owners!
We recently started a new flock (first time chicken owners). Everyone is doing great, except our baby Rose. I believe she was wry neck. We have her for 2 weeks now (shes 3 weeks old) and she was fine and one morning I went to the brooder box to change water etc and she was upside down half living. I quarintined her off as I thought she surely had broken her neck as it was completly backwards and looking up. She couldnt walk or move. After in quarintine for sometime she finally got up and was on two feet walking around. Her crop didnt seem out of the ordinary. However, day 3 of nursing her with eye dropper and scrambled egg her crop is hard as a rock and will not go down( about a day like this thus far). I have provided her apple cider vinegar with water and have stopped feeding her. She is not doing well. Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you!

Hi there, what the bedding in your brooder? And could she have eaten it? What are they eating? have you been giving her b complex for the wry neck? What is the acv for?
Hello! We have the pine shaving? is that terrible? I took all that away though from the sick chick and she is on a heating pad with towels. I am giving her an infant vitamin formula because I couldnt find any polyvisol without the iron. This was the closest I could find with the least amount of iron and I have been piercing a Vitamin E capsule and giving that to her. I have not done b complex! I will go get that now. The rest of the chicks are on non medicated chick starter. Thank you for responding.

Hello! We have the pine shaving? is that terrible? I took all that away though from the sick chick and she is on a heating pad with towels. I am giving her an infant vitamin formula because I couldnt find any polyvisol without the iron. This was the closest I could find with the least amount of iron and I have been piercing a Vitamin E capsule and giving that to her. I have not done b complex! I will go get that now. The rest of the chicks are on non medicated chick starter. Thank you for responding.
Everything sounds great, some people don't use pine shavings since chicks could eat them and block the crop but I'm not sure if that's the issue, the crop might not be functioning right because of the position of the neck.

I have just held her for the past few hours w neck supported hoping that impacted crop subsides. Would you refrain feeding her anything and just stick to vitamins and water? It’s been almost 24 hours with no food now with the exception of around 1/2 tsp of scrambled egg.

Back
Top Bottom