Distressed chick. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jrose, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Jrose

Jrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    This is my first hatch! 11 out of 15 chicks have hatched, the others shouldn't be far behind. This chick is a several hours old. It's crying unconsolably, it settles a bit when I hold it. There's a little thing on its abdomen, bloody in appearance, it left a red smudge on a paper towel, but not bleeding. Do I need to do something or will this sort itself? I want to say it's already gotten smaller, but maybe I'm seeing things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Is it cold? They will cry and cry if they are cold. It still looks wet so I would have left it in the incubator. The bloody spot is from where it absorbed the last of the yolk. If it gets infected they can die, but usually it will heal up just fine.

3. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    Definitely not cold. I thought to leave it in the incubator until it looked a bit fluffier, but the incubator is filthy! It was crying like crazy in there too, so I moved it and one other to the brooder, thinkin' maybe the other chicks would console it. The other chick, an hour younger, isn't fussing. But this guy is. I think it hatched around noon, so over 9 hours ago. The brooder is very clean and spacious for this quantity of day-old chicks.

Edit: I just didn't notice this on any other chicks. The chick a few hours younger doesn't have a blob like this. Did it hatch prematurely? Is it a sign of incubation problems? What's the cause?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  4. Odelia

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Your photo is very blurry. Is there anything hanging out?

5. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    I couldn't get a better one, sorry. Yes. There's about a 1/8" blob sticking out.

6. Odelia

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    It may or may not make it. It can heal up and be fine or it will die in the next two days. I am sorry there isn't much you can do about this. Try to keep it clean and dry and warm. It is good for it to have a friend, but I would not put it in with a bunch of other chicks until this heals because they will peck it. I am sorry about your baby chick.

7. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    What would cause this? I assume this is improper or incomplete absorption prior to hatching?

They've all settled to bed and are quiet. I tried to find this chick again in the group and couldn't locate one with anything unusual on its backside. None of the chicks stood out from the others as feeling off or having an issue. Good sign! Will keep monitoring.

8. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC

9. Jrose

Jun 6, 2013
    I left it at 99.5. I don't recall reading anything that said to drop the temp. Is it best to drop when they begin hatching?

This little guy seems fine today! Phew!

I do have the very last chick struggling right now. It pipped well over 24 hours ago. Just cracked the shell, never made a hole. It's the only one left in the incubator now. I got the tweezers out and opened the pip hole a bit. The chick was breathing and chirping from time to time, but not moving. The inner membrane is blood-free, clearish-brown, and sticky. I first made a full zip for it, but it didn't do anything. So after 2 hours I took the whole 'air pocket' end of the shell off, still no effort. So I came back awhile later and loosened that sticky membrane and he unfolded and stretched out, started chirping more. I left him that way- back side still in the shell- in case he's not done absorbing, Not sure if he's gonna make it. Everyone else finished hatching yesterday.

10. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Some say 90-95 for the first week, others say 95-100 degrees for the first week. I usually shoot for 95+ for the first week. Your temp is fine as long as it is only one side of the bator so that if they get too warm they can move out from the light (heat) and into a cooler area of the brooder. Every week you decrease it about 5 degrees (or a range of 5 degrees) until you meet room temp or they are feathered out. You can pretty much tell the efficiency of the warmth in the brooder by the chicks actions. If they are huddled together under the light (or heating source) and are still chirping loudly and seem uncomfortable, that's a sign it's not warm enough. If they are spread out around the bator as far away from the heat as they can get and are unactive, (more than usual lethargic) and/or mouth breathing, then it's too hot for them. Chicks will be active running in and out of the warmth as they need it if everything is ok.,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by