Distressed chickens since house move.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roolbg, Nov 6, 2014.

1. roolbg

roolbg Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2014
    Hi there, I have two hybrids in an eglu and moved house about 4 months ago. Since then they give quite a constant rate of distressed calls / squawks, even when the're out their run.

At first I thought they just wanted out the run for a bit, but they keep on going. The main change in the move was that they are now on pebbles rather than dirt and there's a lot less weeds for them to munch on.

Could the lack of foliage and dirt to scratch on explain the noise?

2. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    They could be just getting older and more vocal. It could also be a boredom issue. Can they scratch in the pebbles? Are they able to take 'baths'? You may need to adjust the turf they are on to be more chicken freindly, and see if that settles them.

3. 10whiskers

10whiskers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    Florida
    Could it be they have a different view of their surrounding area? Maybe they see possible threats, that they couldn't see before. I had only three EE's, that would freak out when a twig fell from the trees and hit the coop, now they don't notice. I added three EE's and they freak out like the first EE's, but I assuming they will realize, like the first three, that there is no danger from the falling twigs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by