Distressed Hen... maybe egg yolk peritonitis?

fatimastic

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
Pakistan
My Australorp hen, around 1 year and a few months old has been displaying odd behaviors for a few months now.

She would get into the nest box, sit for an hour or two, make some noise and then come back. But she would not lay any egg! She would just pretend as if she is laying. This happens at least 3 times a week. Moreover, I don't believe she is laying eggs anymore.

Today, she was particularly distressed. Pacing around the egg box, and making that noise where it feels like she is screaming. I have put a link for it. She also pecked my hand lightly when she was sitting in box. I picked her up and sent her to eat. And she just started eating and didn't go back to the box. Now she is even pretending to be broody...
The symptoms I believe are pointing towards Egg Peritonitis are:
▪She has stopped laying eggs. I have checked her vent multiple times and it looks dry.
▪She has layed abnormal, soft eggs before. Around a year ago, I witnessed her laying soft shelled eggd in front of me. We have not gotten any for a few months, but we only receive 1 egg daily from 7 hens...
▪Her appetite has decreased. She has become picky about food. I would only find mininal food in her crop, while the others have theirs usually filled. She is just generally not displaying much interest in food.
▪Her abdomen feels big and hard. Not so hard that I can't even feel it, but harder than most and Ascites abdomen.
▪She is overall active and responds to my calls, but she isn't as wild as she used to be.

Please help me in treating her...

Any creepy bugs crawling on her such as poultry lice or mites near the vent area?

Any creepy bugs crawling on her such as poultry lice or mites near the vent area?
I don't see any poultry lice near the vent area. They did have lice about 3-4 months ago but I treated it with permethrin and ever since then, I have not seen any.

I don't see any poultry lice near the vent area. They did have lice about 3-4 months ago but I treated it with permethrin and ever since then, I have not seen any.
That’s good. No signs of abnormal droppings or internal parasites such as worms? I’m going to tag @casportpony, she may be able to help

Okay, that’s good. Have you already checked to see if she is maybe egg bound by feeling around inside her vent for obstruction? Otherwise if it is egg peritonitis, she can develop serious infection and may need treatment with antibiotics such as amoxicillin. @azygous, can you help please?

Okay, that’s good. Have you already checked to see if she is maybe egg bound by feeling around inside her vent for obstruction? Otherwise if it is egg peritonitis, she can develop serious infection and may need treatment with antibiotics such as amoxicillin. @azygous, can you help please?
She isn't egg bound. And neither is she showing any symptoms of that.

I already gave her broad spectrum antibiotics for, including but not limited to, egg peritonitis a while back.

Her vent isn't the cleanest but it definitely isnt the most dirty. I'll try to take a picture today. Can it be possible that she is displaying those symptoms because she is overweight? She has always been the biggest amongst her flock since day 1.

She isn't egg bound. And neither is she showing any symptoms of that.

I already gave her broad spectrum antibiotics for, including but not limited to, egg peritonitis a while back.

Her vent isn't the cleanest but it definitely isnt the most dirty. I'll try to take a picture today. Can it be possible that she is displaying those symptoms because she is overweight? She has always been the biggest amongst her flock since day 1.
🤔 It could be possible but I’m not sure if that’s what would be causing her symptoms. Do you have access to a local avian vet anywhere nearby where you live?

Back
Top Bottom