Distressed hen...what could be wrong? Update: Died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DDRanch, Oct 23, 2011.

1. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    2 days ago I posted thinking this was a egg bound hen. I have separated her and given warm baths, kept her quiet, hand feeding, etc. She is not prolapsed, nor can I see or feel an egg when I probe. Here are the symptoms I notice. Standing very tall, tail drags/touches the ground. Walks with legs wide apart. When she lies down, it looks like she is having some difficulty breathing. She is eating and out with the others right now, but certainly not well. Everyone else is fine although I did lose a hen a couple of weeks ago without warning. What do you think this is? Appreciate your responses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuesday afternoon Update:
    We put her down this afternoon. She got worse overnight, could hardly walk and has been hiding in her open crate, clearly distressed. Although I couldn't feel an egg, her abdomen and lower body area remained very firm and warm and red to the touch. I now suspect egg bound and I am so sad that I couldn't help her. My beautiful girl. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    You have massaged her, stuck an oiled finger into her vent and felt around, etc.... followed all the directions for Eggbound solutions?

How old is she, and the flock and have you wormed them? When? With what? (You can check the poops... not that they always show worms, even when they have worms... some show up in the poop, some don't)

Have you added any new chickens lately that could have brought in some sort of disease or infection?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2011
  3. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Yes, I have followed all the suggestions for egg bound.

She is about 4 years old. I have brought in no new chickens to my little flock. I have never wormed.

Is this stance, tall, legs apart one of the signs for egg bound?

Anne

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You might want to feel her crop and see if it's impacted or full of sour liquid.

5. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    awe poor hen. she does appear to be a bit sick. sometimes chickens have interal issues, we dont know why. it might be a good idear, to seperate her from the others, till shes better.
    you had mentioned other chickens passing suddenly. did you disinfect the coop after their passing. empty waters and clean nesting boxes etc.etc.?
    we had a hen unexpectly pass over the summer, no reason. i disinfected for precaution of my other chickens. good luck. hopefully she will turn around. [​IMG]

6. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Quote:It is not impacted nor particularily full. I have experienced an impacted crop a few years ago, so I am pretty confident it is not that.

7. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Quote:Wow, I did not disinfect the coop after I lost my hen a couple of weeks ago. I do clean the coop and pen very regularily but I did not disinfect. I will do it now and separate her from the others in case this is contagious. Perhaps better late, but I just didn't think of that. I have not added any hens to my little flock for more than 5 years now so I have not had any real issues with disease or illness. It was a surprise to suddenly lose one of my buffs as she did not appear ill at all. I let her out in the am, and putting them away around noon, she had died in the pen.

8. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    When did you last worm her? Even if you don't see worms, she could have them. When you do see them, then there is a LARGE infestation

9. DDRanch

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Quote:I have nver wormed, but you are the second to ask me that....I will get some wormer tomorrow, everything is closed up now.

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    There was a thread on here about someone's rooster standing like that. He had mites or lice really bad. Not sure about intestinal worms...can't remember. You could try a search. It was odd that it affected him like that and I don't remember all teh details but the stance was similar.
    sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by