Distressed Hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Seadanes, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Seadanes

Seadanes New Egg

May 29, 2012
    West Seattle, WA
    I can't find anything wrong - no swelling, no injuries. But she didn't want to come out of the coop this morning, and when I brought her out, she just stands there. The only thing I see that seems weird is that it looks like she's breathing out of her butt. By that I mean her entire rear end looks like it's expanding and contracting. I can't feel anything like a stuck egg....

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is her backend enlarged like she could have an egg stuck, or big like she has something inside there like fluid or a mass? Is it tight like a drum or soft? Is she having labored breathing? Can you insert a finger into her vent an inch or two to feel for a stuck egg--you should feel nothing, but soft tissue normally. Can you bring her inside to a basket or crate, and give her some water with electolytes? See if she will eat some chopped egg? Feel of her crop for fullness, or to see if it is empty. Post back what you find. I will check in later, but others may help you.

3. Seadanes

Seadanes New Egg

May 29, 2012
    West Seattle, WA
    I don't feel anything externally. I will try to put a finger in and bring her in and give her electrolytes. Thanks - I'll let you know!

4. Seadanes

Seadanes New Egg

May 29, 2012
    West Seattle, WA
    Well I got a finger in her vent - which is pretty much constantly contracting. But I don't feel anything but soft tissue in there....

Any ideas?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she passed an egg or any droppings yet? How old is she? Will she eat or drink anything for you?

6. Seadanes

Seadanes New Egg

May 29, 2012
    West Seattle, WA
    She has gone to the bathroom. Still no egg. Her vent is still contracting constantly. Once my husband came home, I was able to do a more thorough investigation of her and found what may be an injury. I took pictures to see if anyone has a guess but I can't see a way to post them here. Copy/paste doesn't seem to work. Maybe an iOS issue?

7. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    My guess would be that she is trying to pass a soft shelled egg. How old is she?
    To post a photo click on the little sun and mountain landscape in the far right hand bar above the reply window. 5 icons to the left of the smiley face.

8. Seadanes

Seadanes New Egg

May 29, 2012
    West Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the help - It was an iOS problem! (I didn't have those options on my iPad or iPhone). She is about a year old.We certainly could be dealing with more than one issue, but I put my finger in her vent as far as I could and I don't feel anything other than soft tissue. Aside from the usual annoyance, she doesn't appear bothered by my palpations and I don't feel anything that feels like a mass or hard something. Of course, if it's a soft egg, I wouldn't. But, also, when I put my finger in the vent, I don't get any sort of liquid or anything on the glove. The first two pictures are what appear to be a hole of some sort with some yellowish stuff around it - this is located slightly up and to the left of her vent. The last one is her vent. I was trying to show that it's constantly contracting but appears to be clear. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That looks like it could be an injury or from pecking. It might be food to give her a warm soak in Epsom salts or soapy water. Then apply some Vetericyn spray or plain neosporin ointment when she is dried. Repeat the ointment twice a day. Is she low in the pecking order, or have you seen others pecking her? Do you have a rooster that might have spurred her?

1 person likes this.
  10. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If it is a soft shelled/shell less egg it will still be encased in a membrane so unless you were to break the membrane you would not get any liquid coming out. You could give her a warm Epsom salts bath and some calcium as it will help with the contractions. You could clean that other site up at the same time and then give her a blow dry and put some antiseptic ointment on it. It's not the preen gland is it? It still looks damage though even if it is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by