1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

disturbed with hatch rate and unhatched eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, Feb 24, 2011.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well today was really a happy sad kind of day. It was day 22 and by now I had 3 chicks out of 12 as of yesterday and today I got two more for a total of 5-12 chicks. Well looking at the eggs that didnt hatch I found out that I had 10 of 12 that were developed and still alive, the problem was they all had very large yolks but all were still alive and kicking on day 22 but under developed. It was disturbing because I cracked the eggs to see what happened and they were still alive. How long do you wait for them to hatch really? I am guessing they would have hatched in about 2-3 days. so that would have been a 10-12 hatch because come to find out 2 eggs werent fertile or were early quitters. If you can help me then let me know. Thanks Oh it was way better then the last hatch 50% is way better and promising for sure. LEarning alot hope to learn alot more by April.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have not had my first hatch yet but what I have read here is that you never give up on the eggs before day 25 because a period of lower temps can delay hatch. Another tip I've seen is go find something to do when hatch is near so you don't mess with the eggs. Messing with them will never make them hatch but messing with them can cause them not to. I hope you have better luck next time.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I let mine go at least 25 days. I have 5 that have hatched out of 7 this is day 22 and I lockdown 4 MaransX eggs from Egg Swap, so I will let these go til the Marans hatch. If they dont by then they are not going to. Sometimes it just takes some a little longer. I had one in a hatch take til day 25.

4. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Sorry to hear about your experince

but dont give up [​IMG]

next time lower your humidity

keep it 35 to 40

this way they absorb the yolk much beter

i like dry incubation (is not dry but this is how is called)

good luck [​IMG]

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I've had several day 25 hatches. Some just take a little longer.
    Someone a while back had a hatch on day 28.
    I've still got chicks hatching on day 23. My hatch date was the 21st. I got 3. Yesterday I got a few more, today 6 and just noticed another pip, so probably tomorrow. I'm up to 17 hatched and I won't touch them until late day 25 or 26.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Quote:Yes, let them sit in there at least until day 25 next time. If by day 24 or 25 you are not sure about their continued viability, there is a way you can check without cracking open the egg and accidentally killing the chick inside. It's called the "float test". Get a bowl of warm water--if possible, use a thermometer and make sure it's close to the same temp as your incubator. Slide the egg gently in the bowl. If it floats, it has deceased and bacteria has begun to form. If it sinks to the bottom but does not move, it's a maybe. If it goes to the bottom and starts rocking, it's still hanging in there and just hasn't hatched yet. Take it out of the bowl as quickly as possible & put it back in the bator and lock it down!

I hope this helps. There are better instructions about this by more experienced hatchers, and perhaps someone will post here. Also, you can do a search for "egg float test" and see what comes up.

I hope it goes better for you next time. It is a learning process. We had similar failure with our first hatch, as well. We are working on our second hatch now.

7. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Why is this the first time I have heard about this 25 day thing. I thought I had read all about it but I really havent read the 25 day thing. Thanks. Here is my next question. If I wait till day 25 how do I get the other chicks out that hatched out day 21. I have a cabinet bator and I am on a 7 day cycle inbetween hatches.

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Very quickly? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited to add: I think I have outlived my usefulness. At least on this topic. [​IMG]

9. dustponds10

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    WOuld it be possible to just raise the humidity for around the first 3 days then lower it and leave the eggs that didnt hatch in on the hatching tray and lower down the humidity? This way the other eggs that are in the incubator can still have the lower humidity around 35-40? Kind of the attitude of if they hatch they hatch? I really dont know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by