Disturbing a broody goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Kim65, May 20, 2010.

1. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I believe Petey Girl has finally tipped over into broodiness. She spends every available moment on her nest of sterile eggs. Her nest is against the side of the house and completely unprotected (of course she chose this location). When I'm at work or gone from the house, she and Petey go in a secure pen. At night, they come in the house with me and sleep in a large playpen with pee wee pads. They were brooded in this playpen and have been coming inside every night of their lives to sleep in there.

My question is, am I causing her stress by picking her up off the nest when she wants to sit? When I put her in the pen or the house, she protests a little but seems to forget soon. She goes right to sleep in her playpen, and plays in the water bucket in the pen. I am afraid of making her sick or run down, going against her natural tendencies right now. I'm probably over worrying. My previous flock were entirely bachelors with young geese that I had to rehome before I got a chance to experience all this.

Should I just break up her nest? Or should I let her "sit" whenever she wants until the wanting is done? Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    Hi Kim,

I think letting her "sit on her nest" is easier on her than trying to go against what her body & mind are telling her to do. The more often eggs you rob from her the more she'll feel compelled to replace them. I would just let her "go to nest" and let her sit on them until she stops. Good Luck with Petey Girl.

Joni

3. solarquail

solarquail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    if you dont want her broody then take her eggs or get her a boy.... simple as that

4. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I struggled with this very thing this spring as one of my females could sit month after month as long as someone was laying eggs in the flock. She took over everybody's nests in the spring and combined them all in one big nest and commenced to sitting and sitting......The other girls would take an egg or two out from underneath her and set next to her but Fluffy was the main sitter. She hatched out four goslings and readily let me take them and just kept on sitting. I took and discarded all the duds at that time when I knew they were all done hatching but my yearling emden just kept on laying eggs so my dear Fluffy just kept on sitting. She was going into her third continuous month of sitting when I decided to just take the eggs as they were laid. For awhile I was leaving one egg so she wouldn't be compelled to sit on there all day long but the nest just kept getting filled so I quit that about 2 weeks ago. I was worried it would stress her out but she's fine and now joins the rest of the flock in whatever they are doing and in all reality is probably happier now that she's off that next. At least you know your Petey Girl will be good to go for next year when you have fertile eggs.

5. Kim65

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Sounds like Fluffy got it out of her system then. I guess I'll just let her sit when I'm home and stick to the routine otherwise. At least it's a routine she's familiar with, and geese need predictability.

That's what I'm afraid of, she'll be an excellent sitter and then I'll have all these goslings to rehome and I'll have to do background checks on everyone who wants one . . .

6. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I hope you don't turn out like me when you have goslings next year. I originally said to my dh that "I'm only keeping one....." Then when the second hatched I said "i'll keep this one too but thats it", then the third one hatched and I said "I'm going to keep this one too because what's three more geese, but seriously this is it", then last but not least "Lucky" hatched and guess what? I kept him too, which is why I named him Lucky. I am just too soft hearted about all animals and I would want to do background checks too! lol At least I see now, from being on here, that there are many, many people who love their geese just as much as I do so maybe it won't be so hard to get rid of some next year [​IMG]

7. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    My birds (turkeys) that go broody in my yard allways seem to get killed. I do live where there is lots of preditors and wild dogs. My yard is fenced but that alone does not keep them safe. I always take away the eggs if I can find them. Mine are all fertile. To me it is a no brainer if they where unfertle eggs. The saying "sitting duck" is sure death many times. If you choose to let her sit, make her safe as you can. I have a turkey that is sitting next to my fence. I ran out of room for her eggs in my incubator. I built her a sitting box. I just put this over her. She has food and water and a little room. I have noticed she hardly eats anything. I think broodies system kind of shut down while they sit. I think being broody is hard on them.

[​IMG]

8. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Maybe you could try to move her nest into the pen & get some fertile eggs for her to brood and then rehome the babies afterwards?

My old Gander always tried to steal the ducks nest & sit on her eggs(he helped his lady brood the eggs), so maybe she will take right to the new nest.

9. Kim65

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I am a member of another forum of homesteaders and though it's fine for OTHER people to eat their geese (*gasp* *moan* *shudder* *barf*) I like this place because there are many who are in love with their geese and would talk about their behaviors all day if anyone would listen. WE listen to each other thank goodness!

I am renting, have a wonderful landlord who lets me do what I want and loves to come and see my critters (except for the attack turkey). But renting, who knows what will happen. Who knows when my house in Idaho will sell in this economy. So I'm traveling light. Esp with the geese, I had to let my flock in Idaho go and I thought it would kill me, even though they went to a no kill farm animal rescue. If I had to pick up and leave, I don't have to pick up too many, if you know what I mean. So I'm not letting myself allow her to hatch goslings. I'm just hoping the hormones will lighten up in a few weeks and she'll go about her merry way. I got three ducklings but the timing was wrong and the geese could care less about them.

Omabird, I LOVE your broody box!! I've envisioned something like that. My goose is almost beneath my bedroom window, and she only sits when I'm at home. So far we've had no stray dog issues though a juvenile coyote came up the back pasture and pulled out the tom turkey's fan before I ran screaming to chase him off. There's a five foot fence between the pasture and my birds, but this is not foolproof. So my bedroom window is open and I do most of my projects and computer time in here anyway. The brooder box is such a fantastic idea that it is one I'll remember!

10. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:First I thought you said they were sterile eggs? Second birth control for geese is easy, either outright steal the eggs or "addle" them. This is done by shaking them hard enough to break the internal membranes so the gosling never developes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by