Disturbing Health Care Provisions in the new Stimulous Package

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by VT Chick-lit, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VT Chick-lit

VT Chick-lit Out Of The Brooder

[​IMG] This is me under my chair. I am heart sick and afraid. I was watching the news this morning while they were discussing the health care provisions in the stimulous bill. Aparently, these provisions, in addition to providing the funding for placing all medical records on the WEB, also will limit the procedures and medicines that your doctor will be able to perscribe. It does not directly state that certain prcedures and medicines cannot be used BUT it will require the central governmental agency that will be in charge of interacting with your doctor when he/she is perscribing procedures and medicines to allow or deny procedures and medicines based on cost. This will effectively shut down medical research and new, life saveing drugs because the doctors will not perscribe things that will not be paid for. The bill will also deny reimbursement to insurance companies that ok these more expensive procedures.

I am someone that is on a necessary medication that is very expensive. I will be on this medication for the rest of my life and currently have insurance that pays the $1600 a month to cover it's cost. Without the medication my life would be difficult at best and severely shortened at worst. My medication would probably be denied by the new government rules. There are alot of people using this medication so it is not experimental or contoversal.

There will be little if any research on new drugs and procedures if there is no market for them. It costs alot of money, millions of dollars, and many years of experimenting and testing before new life saving procedures and medicines can be used on the general population to save lives. The people and companies that develop these things must be adequately compensated to insure we progress in the area of medicine. That is why these things have a large cost. We all must rember that things like bypass surgery on the heart, many types of cancer treatment, and medicines to treat MRSA were once considered very expensive and experimental. These things are common place now and saving lives.

I am concerned also that this central governmental agency will detirmine, on a basis of cost, the type of care you will recieve. This is how England detirmines the type of care her citizens recieves. I wonder what the death rate is for the Brits on diseases that we currently treat differently here to save American lives. There are some very expensive breast cancer medicines that will probably be denied, while mastectomies are cheap. Also, this is only one step away from detirmining the type and quallity of health care we receive, based on age and disability. I dont trust this, or any government, to make humane decisions regarding these matters. We know that they can be bought. This is evidenced by our lack of representation in Washington, while the lobbiests for big business get what they want. Health care will be treated the same. Those that are rich and can grease palms, will get what the rest of us cannot.

I know that things will never be equal but, at least now we all can get the life saving care we need, even if it comes with a payment plan to the provider. It seems, from what I am hearing, there will come a time in the near future when this will not necessarily be the case. I would rather be in debt, and be alive due to an expensive life saving procedure, than not have those procedures available to me.

I have called my Congressman and Senators. Unfortunately not enough people know about this provision in the bill and are not calling to complain. Additionally, I think many people think that they will never have a disease that falls into this catagory. If you think that is the case, remember breast cancer and other cancers are constantly getting newer and more expensive drugs and procedures and their cure rates are improving. Many of these would probably be denied if the cost was to be considered. I dont want to take that risk.

Anyone who feels that they want to contact their Representatives and Congressmen in Washington can do so by calling the government switchboard at 1-202-224-3121 and ask for your Congressman or Representative to complain. I will now get off my soap box. [​IMG]

2. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    I hope you are still able to get you medicine.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2009
  4. congdon476

congdon476 GaLLiNa LOcA

Dec 31, 2008
    Pueblo Area
    *Post removed*

5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    This is not about the election. Thanks.

6. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:AMEN [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Not everyone.

8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Back on topic please. This is about health care not the election results from last year or about character judgements.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:Not everyone.

I shouldve said alot of people wanted change. [​IMG]

10. Blue Skys

Blue Skys Hi Mom!!

Nov 25, 2008
    Texas
    Again, this is NOT about the election