Disturbing Hen While Laying?

jennyf

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Missouri
I've been having an issue with one of my 6 hens pecking eggs. She's not eating them and doesn't even break the membrane but obviously I want to nip it in the bud before she figures there's something tasty inside. Not certain which hen. My strategy for addressing has been to add a bunch of golf balls to each nest (to hopefully deter pecking) and collect several times per day. This seems to be working--have gone from one pecked egg/day to one every week or so. However, collecting more frequently means I'm sometimes checking under a hen that's laying or just sitting in the nest box to remove eggs before something gets pecked. Any issues with disturbing laying chickens? I feel bad, but, ya know, quit pecking eggs chickies!

I understand completely!! I started disturbing my chickens due to the roosters eating them, which might be what is happening to your eggs if you have a rooster in that coop. I stopped disturbing my hens because a couple of mine have died from impacted eggs due to this because they don't have the chance to fully lay before being disturbed. Maybe that wasn't why they were dying, but I wanted to share my experience, but I have rarely had an issue since I stopped disturbing them. Also if it is a rooster I found that putting the laying boxes up higher helps them to not be able to peck at them.

Back
Top Bottom