Ditch diggers...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duckfarmer1, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Ok does anyone know why my adorable little brood of 43 continue to dig holes in there pen? You see they dug a few in there old pens that kept getting expanded. It was finance 40x 50. Well when we thought they got Coccidiosis a few days ago we moved the entire thing and dug up all that old area and laid new sod...including filling in the rather large hole. Well, the new pen is like three days old and there are two holes already! One is about a foot around! I know they are puddles ducks...but they have tons of water in there.....ugh. Lol..those stinking cute babies of mine! Every day is something more fun than the day before...lol

thanks guys..have a great night ❤️

Claires Poultry likes this.
  2. blackandtan

blackandtan Songster

Aug 30, 2016
    Thunder Bay Ontario canada
    Hmmm 43 littles? Probably one thought there was something cool to dig for and the rest copied her, they do seem to fixate on things!

3. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    You’re probably right..follow the leader."dummy heads...lol.jeepers
    ...lol

Claires Poultry and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

And if there is water on the ground too much temptation not to try and dig to China. I have river rock around my water bucket to keep them from excavating.

5. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    It’s not water from a bucket. It’s from rain.

Miss Lydia and Claires Poultry like this.
  6. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Crossing the Road

Sounds like what your ducks are doing is completely normal. Mine like to eat holes in the ground, too, especially if it's really muddy. :gig

Ducks, ya know.... They just LOVE to eat dirt and mud. I pretty sure it's one of their favorite pastimes... :lau

As a matter of fact, my ducks have literally eaten a hole in the ground that is now big enough it almost always has water in it - either from the rain or from the water they continuously spill from their waterers. :gig
    Again, ducks are are just :gighilarious! :lau

springvalley123 and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. Kholts

Kholts Songster

Feb 11, 2019
    Canada
    I got 2 noticeable holes in my yard. Both were dug up due to the water bucket being placed their at one point.

They are kids in a candy shop when water hits the ground.

Claires Poultry and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Ephesians 6:13

This is on the walkway the property looks like the moon. C0CC0A8E-FA32-4B9A-8328-ADFF4BCBA6B4.jpeg

9. Kholts

Kholts Songster

Feb 11, 2019
    Canada
    Sooooo pretty!

Claires Poultry likes this.
  10. Claires Poultry

Claires Poultry Crossing the Road

x2! :love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: