Ditch Tigers

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tomhusker, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Found a feral cat sitting on the wood pile today when I went out to check on the chooks. I have a mixed bag free ranging, varying in age from 7 weeks to 21 weeks.

The cat was eyeballing the youngest bunch and didn't seem the least bit intimidated by me. No problem here, I went inside and grabbed a pistol and dispatched said varmint expeditiously. I have no time for these cancers on nature. The folks up the way from me think cats are "Precious" and feed them. I told them if they come around here they are targets. One less to answer the dinner bell I guess.

2. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Atta boy! Spoken like a true Ozarkian! The neighbor might thank you for lowering his cat food budget. [​IMG]

3. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Remember it's not the cats faught his people are idiots! Thank you for not letting him suffer needlessly.

4. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Nicely done. There is no such thing as a "pet cat" unless it is indoors 24/7. All the others are fair game, feral or not. If you can't keep it on your property, it's not yours. [​IMG] I like your style Tomhusker!

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    My cat watches my chickens endlessly. Has never touched one since a rooster taught him a lesson when he was younger.

6. Sootsie

Sootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Personally i cant stand cats i live on a housing estate at one point on our street of 12 houses there were 17 cats i swear they used my garden as a toilet [​IMG] next door had 5 (part of our rental agreement is only 2 cats, 1 dog, anything other than indoor small caged animals we have to get written permision) and she reported ME for not cleaning up after MY dog (5 days due to me being ill in bed) in MY garden saying it was a health hazard. [​IMG] At that point i invested in a supper soaker water gun and put washing up liquid in the water. But it is a very different situation than on farmland at least there are a lot fewer here now and my chickens will have a netted roofed pen. [​IMG] on the written permission side i have it for 6 banty hens so now looking for noisy ones [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    Quote:you got one of those crazy cat lady as a neighbour as well huh....?

8. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    I have one cat and that is perfect. She keeps all other cats off of the property and the mice too.

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I like cats, have had at least one house cat all my adult life, have one now, and have absolutely no problem with Tomhusker. Most likely he saved her from a miserable death. Actually, most of my cats have been rescued from a feral life.

I even have an old friend who has become a crazy cat lady; feeds them indoors and out. Good thing she doesn't live too close to me.

Irresponsible pet owners... ugh... Has led to an incredible number of feral cats who, like most foreign species, wreck havoc out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    We have 2 indoor cats. It is the owners responsibility to ensure they remain indoors otherwise they may meet the same fate as in Tomhusker's situation.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by