Ditched suburbia for a hobby farm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PeggyReed, Feb 21, 2017.

1. PeggyReed

PeggyReed Just Hatched

Jan 20, 2017
    Tennessee
    Hi everyone, my name is Peggy. I've lived in subdivisions of major cities all my life. 6 months ago, my husband and I moved our family of 4 to a 12-acre-farm in rural west Tennessee. It's fabulous and we are all thriving! It really is a dream come true. We added 6 Barred Rock chicks to our homestead 3 days ago. It's our first time raising chicks but so far, so good! They are 1-week-old and are active, eating and drinking well, and love the branch I put in their brooder for a perch. I am training our 2 dogs to ignore them with the command "leave it." I hope it works because our chickens will free range during the day.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good for you and good luck.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, PeggyReed, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! Sounds like you have a little slice of heaven, alright! As a newcomer to the chicken world, you might like to take a gander at some of the great articles in the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center These articles run the range of nearly every aspect of chicken keeping - including predator proofing and care for free range chickens. Additionally, if you'd like to chat with some of your poultry owning neighbors, locate the TN thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Peggy, glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. Must feel great to be "off lead," and have 12 acres.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Peggy [​IMG] Welcome!

Congratulations on your new farm and best wishes!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there and welcome to the chicken club! I am so glad you joined BYC, please make yourself at home and enjoy yourself here! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by