Ditry eggs Wash/Not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oklahoma Lightning, May 14, 2009.

1. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    I got five huge eggs that are really dirty. Will, I think they are so should I wipe them down with warm water and a little soap?

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    if for eating? I don't use soap, the shells are permeable. I just rinse off with water.

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    would not try hatching them myself

4. nhchickmom

nhchickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2008
    Thornton, NH
    I only wash my eggs if I am giving them as a gift. Then I rinse them in lukewarm water and dry them with a paper towel. I then reseal them by rubbing olive oil on the shell. Shells are permeable so once you wash off the original bloom you risk letting bacteria in. In my opinion you are better off leaving them as is and washing you hands after handling them.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Personal choice, but I've decided from much reading that if you do rinse them off, best do it under running water that is warmer than the egg, so the bacteria move out of the egg rather than into.

6. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    I have cleaned them and still have good hatches. Like the post said I ran warm water on them and let it soften the dirt and rub it gently with the tip of my finger and get the worst of it off. I don't rub it hard.[​IMG]

7. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    All the books I've read say "NOT" to wash or do anything to eggs you intend to hatch. Do not even wipe them with water. Brush as much dirt off as you can without applying pressure and go from there. Try to make sure your nests are clean.
    This is something to consider when you have hatching problems. Eggs are porus, which means water, soap, dirt and germs can get inside. Make sure you wash your hands as well before handling eggs. I also wonder if eggs that are shipped are being wrapped to tightly and the eggs are getting smothered to death.

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  8. okcarla

okcarla Seriously Downsizing (NOT)

Feb 12, 2008
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    We always wash our eggs with hot water and have great fertility and hatches. Dirty eggs are scrubbed with a soft brush and dipped in a solution of disinfectant.

We use Brinsea Incubation Disinfectant Concentrate

http://www.brinsea.com/detail.aspx?ID=56

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  9. Oklahoma Lightning

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    I am going to wash them. I paid for them so I don't have anything to lose.
    Carla, I will PM you. I forgot to get some eggs from you at Jones.
    Need some 6 Blue Slate and shot forgot what they call but the lay the chocolate dark brown eggs 12 of them.

10. Oklahoma Lightning

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    marans, welsummer,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by