Divet hole in leg/mites?

suburbchic

Chirping
13 Years
Sep 3, 2010
just out of wichita
I have been treating my rooster for leg mites by gently washing and covering with Vaseline when I noticed both legs have some yellow gold skin. But one leg definitely has a large divet. Has anyone seen this and know what to do for it? He does seem to be walking fine. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230529_170422.jpg
    20230529_170422.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 20230529_201400.jpg
    20230529_201400.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 27
I have been treating my rooster for leg mites by gently washing and covering with Vaseline when I noticed both legs have some yellow gold skin. But one leg definitely has a large divet. Has anyone seen this and know what to do for it? He does seem to be walking fine. Thanks!
It was probably a wound from a fight that got infected

You would need to have a vet look at it or send a picture to your nearest vet college for confirmation, but that looks like some pictures of squamous cell cancer. I would clean it out with chlorhexidene or Betadine, and note if there is any pus inside it in case of an abscess, but it looks suspicious to me. Here is an internet picture of squamous cell carcinoma, and note the pitted appearance of the skin:
https://sunnysideupfarmhome.files.w...s-on-head-kandi-gaffney3.jpg?strip=info&w=427

Is it possibly from his spurs digging into his legs while he’s roosting? I mention that cause his spurs look really long

You would need to have a vet look at it or send a picture to your nearest vet college for confirmation, but that looks like some pictures of squamous cell cancer. I would clean it out with chlorhexidene or Betadine, and note if there is any pus inside it in case of an abscess, but it looks suspicious to me. Here is an internet picture of squamous cell carcinoma, and note the pitted appearance of the skin:
https://sunnysideupfarmhome.files.w...s-on-head-kandi-gaffney3.jpg?strip=info&w=427
Thank you, the attached picture looks like it's swollen out and scab like where his is concave and just had the yellow skin, no pus. I will clean it with Betadine just to be sure. May have to call the vet by Monday. I appreciate your input.

Back
Top Bottom