Divided Coop Design

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickenMammX4, Apr 2, 2015.

1. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    The shed we're revising for our coop is divided in half by a 4' high fence and gate. (it was oringinally built for dogs that was never used). The back area we are using for the chickens is approximately 8' x 8.5' with a pop door to the run. The front area for storage, is approximately the same size and has a walk-in door.

My question is...will the chickens fly over the divider? I know they can :p but will they? Hubby thinks not, I think he should run the fencing to the ceiling.

Nothing bad can happen to them, I just don't want the mess.

So far the renovations completed are; 2 windows (with hardware cloth), vent (with hardware cloth) on back wall near the ceiling, poop board, roosting bar, and ramp, 3 nesting boxes are planned.

Hubby is designing the run now. Those chicks are getting big (about 4 weeks old)! I told him he needs to get moving. We have a small, temporary run we put them in during the day, weather permitting but they need their permanent home.

2. countrygirl345

countrygirl345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Michigan
    I think you should make the divider go all the way to the ceiling, unless you don't mind the chickens wandering around and leaving their calling cards everywhere! Chickens are naturally curious, and I can almost guarantee that they will test the limits. Good luck!

3. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Unless they are very large stock like Orpingtons, yes, they will fly over it. They will roost on the highest point they can get to and if that is the divider, that is what they will use. Light chicken wire to extend to the ceiling will be sufficient or even the plastic garden fencing as long as you are not counting on it for predator protection.

4. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia

Yup, this post nailed it. If they CAN, sooner or later (probably sooner) they WILL. And as the previous poster said, they'll leave you little calling cards everywhere they go

5. Celtagoats

Celtagoats Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    Texas
    My moms coop has a storage area inside of it with a simple 4 ft chain link gate as the door. I'm always shooing chickens out of the storage and finding eggs in there!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by