dividing the bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joe17, Sep 24, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I have an old hova bator and a brinsea 20. How do you suggest I separate eggs from different parents in the bator? thanks ohh I plan on using the brinsea for the first 18 days and the hova bator for the last three days.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I am new to this- have eggs in the mail. But I have seen on here pics of people writing on their eggs in pencil. Maybe someone else will answer you.

3. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    I made a divider in my old little giant out of hardware cloth. I cut a piece that went all the way across and was short enough so it would not hit my heating element. Was very easy and it worked great. Hope this helps.

4. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Quote:hahhahaaha Yeah I know people do that but when they start hatching, how do I know who is who? lol

txcarl, do you have a picture or something? Thanks!

5. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I just hatched out BBS and Split Lav eggs and what I did was put the Split lav eggs in a low tupperware dish. The dish was small enought to fit insidemy hovabator but too high for the chicks to get over. Hope this helps!

6. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    really? Do you have a pic of the size of the container? I might try that! That or I was thinking about those green straw berry crate thingys! That might work!

7. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Sorry no pic [​IMG] I made this years ago when I was in High School.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:hahhahaaha Yeah I know people do that but when they start hatching, how do I know who is who? lol

txcarl, do you have a picture or something? Thanks!

Hahaha! Good point! I'm going to have to pay attention to these tips for later then.[​IMG]

9. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I don't have a pic either...and the bator is full at the moment so I can't take one. But it is just a tupperware that is about 4 inches high. I had lots of BBS but only 3 splits so I put the three in the tuppeware and left the rest in the rest of the bator loose. Once they hatch I use little colored rubberbands on their legs and move up in sizes as they grow. Then the legbands with numbers.

If you search on ebay for "chick leg bands" the rubber ones come up.

I get the adult bands at cutler supply.

Hope this helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by