Dividing the Incubator for Hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Naamahbengals, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Naamahbengals

Naamahbengals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Hi, does anyone have any tips on keeping two sets of eggs separate during hatching in the incubator? I have both brown and green eggs, and as I'm breeding towards blue, I'd like to keep the chicks from the green eggs and sell the chicks from the brown. But I only have 11 eggs, and a single Hovabator incubator, so they are together. It's 5 days till hatching, so I'm trying to think of ways I can keep them from mixing before I can band them - that will fit in the incubator!

Since I am thinking of this *now* I can't install some sort of center wall, since I can't open the incubator that long or let it get un-humid enough for glue to dry.

Will a very shallow tupperware work? But I'm worried about both the plastic being close to the heat coil, or that the chicks might try to climb out of the tupperware and burn themselves on the coil. I've only had one hatching previously, and I don't remember if they had enough energy to try and get over a 3in high plastic wall.

Any other ideas?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I currently have a cabinet with a sallow hatcher section below. I tried some plastic boxes with the holes like those used for strawberries. The chicks flipped them off. Bad idea. I wouldn't use Tupperware as they need oxygen.
    One thing that has been successful is plastic mesh bags with a drawstring. I bought a bunch that were made for holding fresh shrimp.
    The heat element in the lid is a problem. perhaps you could cut a piece of sheet metal to fit the space.

3. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    I don't mean putting the tupperware upside down over them, i meant putting them *in* an open-topped tupperware.

1 person likes this.
  4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I don't know about yours but mine would jump out. They're pretty mobile by the time all have hatched. IMO they need to be in little jails if you want them separate.
    You could make little boxes out of hardware cloth.
    I was shocked at what little Houdinis they were.

I've now pretty much switched to staggered hatches to help solve the issue.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  5. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    Hmm, I do have extra hardwire cloth laying around... I could snip it and ziptie into a box to put over one side of the cage...

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    It's time consuming to do a good job with the HC but it works.

7. DCchicken

DCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Maryland
    "Sorry little chick but you hatched from the wrong color shell. You must go to chick jail."

Free the chicks.

8. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    Hehehe

Ok, so I just put together a little 'jail' (lol) made of hardwire cloth clipped to shape and zip-tied. Just washed it with antimicrobial soap, letting it dry, then it goes in! It spans 1/3rd of the incubator, and ends 1cm below the lowest part of the lid (that little box with wires in it), so I don't think it's possible for them to flip or get under it. If it works this time, I'll make another one, and put hot glue on the edges to seal off the cut parts. (I don't think the cuts will be a problem, I snipped it pretty flush, but it'll make it nicer.)

9. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Good job. You'll have to post pictures.
    I hope my brainstorming helped.

For a day or two it's not much different than a hen pecking them on the head to make them stay under her wing.

10. Naamahbengals

May 17, 2013
    It did! I hadn't even thought of hardwire cloth 'rooms', even though I have it laying around. And I'm going to band them that morning when they hatch; I have the little spiral color bands already. :)

Here's the pic! Wasn't great for color, but those eggs on the right are mint and light olive green.

[​IMG]
    (The thermometer was just put back in, I don't keep it that cool. :p )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by