Dividing walls w/in the coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Queen Bee, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    I am working on designing my new coop. I would love to have 1 large section for a laying flock and 3 other sections so I can have breeding type pens or use them for broodies, health/injury issues. How can I use 6ft high chain link panels w/ gates when my interior will be at least 7ft high?? I want to use the panels because I want them to be removable or expandable.. AND I have them on hand.. Will the heavy breeds--Rocks,Jersey Giants be able to jump over the 6'? Thank you for any suggestions or ideas... QB

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    We just built a new coop like you discribbed this Spring. We used kennel panels 10'x6' at the end of each pen - as a drive in gate for our skidsteer. We needed the pens to be 7' high for clearance so, we put 7' tall pvc poles over tall steel T- post. We then bought pvc T's and corner/elbows and used 10' pvc poles over the top of our 6' high fence. We made a grid pattern 1'x1' over all the runs with light wire & colored mason line to keep hawks, Owls and other flying preditors from thinking about our hens. Each run is 8'x54' all with solid 6' high fence. The chickens don't even think about flying out because they have lots of room.

3. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    Would love to see pics of your setup!

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Thank you for the reply. I should have said these will be my inside walls. the exterior will be completely enclosed with chain link fencing attached to 6"x6"x 8' .. So the only problem I can see would be the birds flying over into other pens..But not sure.

5. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Heavy breeds are pretty much safe. If you get into bantams or bantam crosses they are pretty good fliers. But like Fried Green Eggs said there would not be a reason for them to go that high. If you are concerned a simple solution would be to extend the extra foot of your panel with either plastic wire or chicken wire. Its inside a secure coop enclosure so you dont have to worry about predators. That would leave your panels mobile.

I have guineas so The tops have to be sealed..... By three weeks old they can roost on the top roosts with the big guys.... LOL. (my partitions with young guineas are lined with plastic mesh so they dont go walkabout till I am ready.)

deb

6. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I have some roost boards in my coops that are 4' and 6' high. I think you need to put chicken wire all the way up inside so they can't go into other pens. You could just ziptie the chicken wire to kennel panel and it will stay up upright and look solid so chickens won't fly into it. That way, you could still move panels with the chicken wire attached.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by