Diving Horses

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SarahFair, Nov 21, 2009.

1. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Theyre back!

But not really. Im about to watch 'Wild Hearts Cant Be Broken' (so they are back on my TV [​IMG] ) one of my all time favs!
    I was wondering who exactly shut them down?
    Do YOU think it was animal cruelty?
    Would you go see them in action?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:Although I have never see them, I do think that anytime we 'force' / 'train' an animal to do something that is not in its nature that it borders on cruelty.
    I would not go see them. I also dont support circus's and I am trying to decide what I think about the Lipanzaar (spelling) Stallions.

3. ChicknJ

ChicknJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Central Florida
    Hey CF, I am completely with you on the circus and aberrant animal training. I went to a circus and left in tears.... I will never.. but the Lipizzans , the true Lipizzan barns are so focused on their animals health, physically, emotionally and spiritually. The bond the trainers and riders have with these animals is unbelievable. Many many years are invested in providing the best pastures, barns, feed, training. The only way you could have a horse perform.... is if the horse trusts you. No trust= no show. And you cannot earn trust in a horse by man handling them.

I do agree that the road show for those horses just cannot be a fair life for any animal though, so it is a 2 sided issue, I went to a show a few yrs ago and again, left there teary eyed... but not for the same reason as the circus.

Sarah, I have not seen that show, I will look for it. I know I had a swimming horse, his barn name was Duck!

4. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    The Royal Lippizaner stallions compete and perform into their late 20s and early 30s, which would be 75-90 in human years. If they didn't like doing it, they would have broken down psychologically and physically long before. I've seen them, their ears are forward the whole time. You cannot force a horse to passage and levade if they really do not want to.

The 1930s was notorious as the heydey of circuses and carnivals--main draw being freak shows. They weren't much better toward humans. Read Water for Elephants for an idea (just ignore the stupid romance and characters and focus on the circus!)

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Quote:I agree CJ that the LS are truly cared for and given the very best of everything on all levels. I have checked out their website regarding the care that they receive and it truly is top notch.

This summer the Budweiser Clydesdales came to our town for 4 days to march in a parade. While they were here, they were on display for folks to come and learn more about them. DD is a horse lover so we went to see them. They were beautiful! Each enormous horse had its own stall, looked like a 16x16 that was cleaned continually around the clock. Horse would defecate and within 2 minutes, a shovel would appear and whisk it away. They were bathed and groomed and vet checked each day. So their physical care was A+++.

But, DD (age 8) pointed out that they were in thier stalls for 4 days other than the parade. They were walked around the perimeter of the display area each day....about 1000 feet. At the end of their time here, they were loaded onto a custom built semi and trucked to their next show.

The horses certainly seemed happy but it was wonderful to come home to our house and watch our horses run and play in their field. So, were these horses happy with their lot in life only because they have never known anything else? I have to wonder...

JMHO [​IMG]

6. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    I agree with you about the circus's. I would not go see the diving horses. I think the LS are beautifull and pampered and as for the Clydsdale's we went to Anheiser Busch in NH and saw the horses. In their stalls and pastures and while we were there one of the stallions reared and we heard smashing went to go see what happened and he had hit the light in stall with his head. There was glass everywhere but people came out of nowhere. All making sure he was ok. From what I saw I would say that at least there those horses are loved and well cared for.

7. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    The diving horses was stationed at the Atlantic Pier from 1924 - 1978.
    Yes, they did travel before that but took time off every year.

As long as the horses were in great shape and well taken care of I dont see any problem with it. If they were stationed at the pier for 54 years I have trouble seeing how it was a traveling circus.
    I would go see it. I would probly be a diving girl [​IMG]

And just so you know..
    If you think
    I do think that anytime we 'force' / 'train' an animal to do something that is not in its nature that it borders on cruelty.

than simply riding horses would border cruelty. Its is totally against their nature to let something on their backs. [​IMG]

Allegedly, in 1881 Carver was crossing a bridge over Platte River (Nebraska) which partially collapsed. His horse fell/dove into the waters below, inspiring Carver to develop the diving horse act.

It was an act with significant dangers, and many riders, Sonora Carver in particular, suffered quite severe injuries. The horses seemed to enjoy it greatly, but the animal protection societies would never permit such an act again.

Arnette was 15 when she took her first plunge on a horse. ”What impressed me was how Dr. Carver cared for the horses,” she said. ”Wherever we went, the S.P.C.A. was always snooping around, trying to find if we were doing anything that was cruel to animals. They never found anything because those horses lived the life of Riley. In all the years of the act, there was never a horse that was injured.”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. SarahFair

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    I saw the Budwiser horses in the snow in Colorado. What a site! I loved it! Their hooves were the size of my head!!

But anyways..
    I think if those horses didnt want to go up that ramp they wouldnt. If those horses didnt want to jump off that tower they wouldnt.
    Have you seen a horse throw a fit because it didnt want to do something? I just dont see them forcing a horse to run up a ramp and dive.
    Im sure they loved it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by