Dixie Rainbows - How did they come about?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JulieZ, Jul 9, 2010.

1. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    Now that I am looking into incubating eggs, I'm making a sound decision to be specific on the breed I'd like to work with. My "Dixie Rainbows" are large brown egg layers nearly daily & seem to be fairly well tempered, which I love. But I am wondering where Dixie Rainbows came from? Any specific breed match?

Do all chickens cross breed? I have "A" Buff Orphington roo. He is with BO's, Dixie Rainbows, Light/Dark Brahma's & Barred Rocks. If they cross breed ... what can I expect in return with tempers, egg production, colors, etc.?

2. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'm not familiar with Dixie Rainbows- but it sounds like one of the hybrid names that certain hatcheries put out. You can cross your roo with all of your hens, but if you just want pure Orps- only hatch the orp eggs. Then you'll know what to expect. I'm a bit biased though- I think orps are such a great all-around breed [​IMG]

3. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    I agree ... I LOVE my Buff's. From what I'm reading, cross breeding is for mass quantities of chickens with no worries about genetics ... so to speak. Right or wrong, if I'm to do this, I want to go all the way with one kind of breed. Now the debate begins with Buff's or Barred's. Both great tempers, gorgeous to stare at & brown egg layers. How to figure out which one is laying the egg is now the question. Perhaps a camp out is in order. Thrilling ... LOL

From the little bit I'm catching on Dixie's ... they are cross bred with whatever & lay exceptionally large eggs.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I did a little searching online and it seems like the Dixie Rainbow is supposed to be more of a meat bird than an egg layer although it is listed as a dual purpose bird. I got the information off of S and G Poultry's website. It looks like they were the ones that developed the "breed".

5. JulieZ

JulieZ Songster

Feb 5, 2010
    Trenton, Florida
    These Dixie's of mine ... HUGE X-Large eggs. My Dixie's are not all that cute right now because of their feathers growing in from what the roo's did to them at their original home : Cognito Farms in Stark, Florida. They are daily layers. Based on the egg size, I have thought about incubating some. Not sure I'd eat them but that may be another stage for another time. [​IMG]

6. draye

draye Crowing

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Still got those Dixie Rainbows? They look like an interesting breed to me.

7. Roxanna

Roxanna Hatching

Jul 11, 2013
    When did your Dixie's start laying?

8. NacientNeedle

NacientNeedle In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    If that is the case then my Dixie Rainbows are NOT Dixie Rainbows because they are excellent layers, but small bodied birds, which are not suitable at all for meat.

9. NacientNeedle

NacientNeedle In the Brooder

Apr 25, 2014
    my Dixie rainbows also lay extra large eggs daily. why wouldn't you eat them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: