1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dixie Rainbows? Rainbow Dixies Whatever they are...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Connorrm, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    I don't understand. It says they get "slaguhter weight" in 12-14 weeks and are an excellent brown egg producer?

It sounds like the ultimate DP breed...as their fertility is supposed to be great. So, what's the deal with these? Anyone raise them? Know anything?

2. ZielinskiFarm

ZielinskiFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Arizona
    Just found this post, and have been searching for more info about dixie rainbows. How old are yours? Do they lay well? Did you use any as meat bird? I have 3 hens, 2 months old now. They are huge and kind of lazy compared to the australorps the same age. Mine are from Mt. Healthy Hatchery. What I've learned is:
    Mt healthy says "The Dixie rainbow originated from years of mixing several breeds but the breeding now is a rainbow to rainbow , they are good to moderate layers app 280 to 300 per year, they are average growing birds and will start to lay app 20 to 22 weeks, the hens will reach app 7 lbs, the egg color is brown and the chicks are very cold hardy birds."

decorah hatchery and s&g hatchery sell them as meat birds

everyone says no 2 are the same color

[​IMG]

I'm trying to be patient, and see how they turn out, but if someone has these birds and wants to share info, please do! [​IMG]

Quote:

3. eatwhatyougrow

eatwhatyougrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    How did these turn out for you? did they lay well, reach desired weights? thinking of getting some this year and wondering if they are the super dual bird they claim to be?

4. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    I have a chick that was added to one of my shipments as a "free rare exotic". It has taken me 7 weeks of researching color and size etc..to find out what it was because I had never heard of the breed before. Finally after the second try, someone on this website gave me some insight.
    Cannot give any info on eggs yet but I can say it is very fast growing breed and definitely a meat type bird because of the size. I won't use it for that because it is also the sweetest chick out of the whole batch of breeds. I am keeping it as a pet. Thought it was a roo the whole time because it was so HUGE but now at 7 weeks I have changed my mind. Even though it is big, it is not taking on the other traits of a roo so yay for me.

5. Stormchilde

Stormchilde New Egg

Jul 29, 2016
    I have 6 hens and a cockerel of this breed just turning 16 weeks HUGE birds good birds if you have kids wicked friendly very talkative coop themselves at night eat pretty much anything I order live crickets a thousand at a time to give them a workout

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by