Dixie wants to stay a broody (we do not want that)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by M To The Maxx, Jan 6, 2010.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    As most of you know Dixie went broody and hatched out chicks. Well she wants to stay broody. How can I break her of her broodiness? We would like her to hatch more chicks but we do not have the facilities for her to hatch anymore. Any tips and ideas will be appreciated.

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Wire cage with no bedding material just food and water

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Maxx this has worked for me time and time again. Put her in a WIRE bottom cage. Small and unconfortable. You want her in bright light (without chilling her). keep her in until she lays an egg. Mine go crazy in the cage. The pace pack and forth and I get an egg in about a week. So, if a week goes bye and no egg,let her out. If she goes back in the nest, another week. Shell probably go out and be broken. This method works with my cochins in as little as three days, and it should work for you.
    Good Luck.
    Dont be worried about pacing, ifyou are just let her out and see what she does, if she stays off for a while youll be good, if not back in the crate!

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I always just boot them from the nest everytime
    I catch them there
    After a few times they generally get the idea

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Send her to me. I want a broody and my girls aren't cooperating.

6. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I'm fighting this battle too. I was going to give my broody Cuckoo Marans eggs, but it's too early, and I worry she'll starve herself trying to keep chicks warm.

I've kicked her off dozens of times, put her on a perch after dark, and today tried ice cubes in the nest. No luck. She just found a different nest.

Wire cage tomorrow morning! I feel mean, but I'd feel meaner if her babies died or she got too thin trying.

I'll keep posted for any other magic cures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by