DIY 12-Chicken Coop

bcorps

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
SW Indiana
I should have started this thread a while back, but I honestly didn’t think it would take as long as it have. Between my physical decrepitude and the worst weather ever this year (I swear it has rained cats and dogs 90% of the weekends since August), it has dragged on for months. Soooo….I am going to try to document it to share.

I based my design largely on a YouTuber named “Pask Makes”. The guy is flat out incredible in his know how and willingness to take on just about any task. He inspired me for sure. Being an Engineer, and having access to the software, I took was I saw in his videos, and drafted up a custom version for myself. I would up with a combination coop/run 16 feet long by 6 feet wide, and tall enough for me (I’m 6’5”) to walk around in. Getting older (and back surgeries) have made bending over less and less appealing.

20200729_153246.jpg

At the very least, this effort allowed me to put together a good materials list. Home Depot was kind enough to drop everything in my driveway. Ironically, the nice Hispanic gentleman who dropped the load curiously ask4ed me what it was for. When I told him, he said “I knew it!” and proceeded to get out his phone and show me a bunch of pictures of his coop and chickens at his home. This hobby is a great way to make friends. I probably made him late for his next delivery, but hey...isn’t that worth making a new buddy?

20200808_094055.jpg

I also (rightly so! WHEW) decided to paint everything before building it. I made the cost decision against pressure treated lumber for everything except the bottom rails and the roof, so I wanted it to be as protected from the elements as possible. This would prove fortuitous, considering how much rain the next couple months would bring. Much of this lumber ended up sitting outside in the very rain that kept me from building it.

20200808_094048.jpg

I finally got the walls assembled, lying flat in the driveway. I can’t believe I forgot to get pictures of this stage, but given that I was usually dodging rain, and worn out from swearing ;) , it’s not truly a shock. I have to admit, I underestimated how frustrating this step would be to get everything square. Especially when the side walls aren’t “square” to begin with. That’s where the CAD drawings came in handy. Rather than trying to match the distance diagonally from corner to corner, I had the actual distances available to go from.

Let me tell you, raising the 20-foot long x 8 foot tall front wall up off the driveway and carrying/sliding it back to the back yard by myself was a real adventure. It was very wobbly, and once it got past a 10 degree lean from vertical, there was no stopping it falling over. I dropped it 3 times and had to pick it back up again. Thankfully, I didn’t break anything. I set it up on pallets to keep it from rotting.

The next couple months were the wettest Summer on record for Evansville, IN. I literally got next to nothing done. While my chickens got bigger and bigger (they were living in my living room). While this was great for pet-like bonding, it did nothing for the dust levels in my house.

(To be continued)

Last edited:
Once the rains let up (somewhat), I got started on what I SHOULD HAVE DONE FIRST…the foundation work. Since I had already taken up all of the flat areas of my back yard with raised bed garden (it has been one busy, busy year for me), I was left with a side-hill location. Since a coop (at least mine) is really just a big sail, and my back yard a heavy clay that gets super slippery in the rain, I decided I would not particularly like to have to winch my coop back up the hill after every thunderstorm.

This meant cutting a foundation into the hill.

DISCLAIMER – if I had known just how much trouble doing what I chose to do was going to be, I would have just dug more, built forms, and poured concrete. But as God is my witness, I thought my chosen course of action would be the easiest. I now doubt that.

The only thing all the rain was good for was somewhat softening up the heavy, compacted clay. I am not sure I could have finished the required digging before it finished me. It is a tough thing for a tough guy to admit when he starts getting older. I am 52, and I have been humbled by my lack of stamina compared to when I was even 32. Weekends when I would plan to spend 8 hours a day doing turned into 3-4 hours and then passing out in my recliner. Oh well, I can laugh about it now.

20201129_163648.jpg
[

I’ll tell you, without expensive laser levels and stuff, getting a 16’ x 6’ rectangular trench level is no easy thing. But, after many swear words and additional muddy hours, I got pretty close. Close enough to add the compactible gravel sub base, anyway.

Thanks for all the "help", guys...but unfortunately, while Pharaoh gave the Hebrews straw to make their bricks, the straw does not strengthen mine. Please stop kicking it in the trench in your search for yummies.

20201205_155219.jpg

The funniest thing about this process was having the local yard dump 2200 lbs of gravel in my truck and driving home having it all down to the tires in the back. I think I found the safe limits of my Ram. And then I had to shovel it out of the truck into a wheel barrow and haul it to the coop site. Did I say having chickens is relaxing? LOL

20201205_161549.jpg

I spent several more days (weeks) dodging rain and leveling/compacting the gravel. Finally, it was time to put a single course of concrete blocks in place (again, hauling everything around back by hand). At which Point I discovered, it was not as level as I thought it was. So pull them out, put them back in, etc. You get the idea. This is where I went and got an actual set of line blocks (thanks to my construction worker friends for all of their advice, they have been a friendly combination of “lol, you’re going to do what?” and “that’s awesome that you want to try something new yourself, man!”)

20201210_162650.jpg

Once I got it level, it was time to mortar between them blocks. Again, my experience with laying brick/block has been limited to mixing it and carrying it to actual masons (“hod carrying”, in construction parlance). So I bought a trowel, and went to it. FAIL. Lol Perhaps it was the cold temperatures (mortar doesn’t like to be done past 40F), the total lack of skill, or the combination of both! It’s okay, by the time I finished it, I wasn’t doing a half bad job. Essentially, this mortar was just to help the blocks grab the gravel and plug them up enough to fill them with concrete later, so they didn’t need to be super pretty.

I drove 4-foot rebars inside the blocks down into the ground. I drove them in an “X” configuration so that any wind trying to lift the coop would require additional force to straighten the bars before they come out. Just one more little thing meant to strengthen everything. I put 5/8-inch concrete anchors in the 4x6 beams that hang into the concrete blocks, and when they are filled (this weekend) it should be locked in place for good.

20201210_165559.jpg

Well, yesterday was a big day. I finally got a friend to come over and help me lift the walls into place long enough to fasten them. We set them on the 4x6 pressure treated lumber base rail. The short pieces on the ends will have to be painted later, but it’s no big deal. Everything that isn’t pressure treated is a good distance from the ground. Had a couple things that needed to be tweaked a little to fit just right, but I am fairly proud of my craftsmanship so far. It is really coming out as intended.

20210104_072442.jpg

(To be continued)

Last edited:
Wireframe?
That's so like.... 90's, man. :gig
Just funnin' ya.
What program are you using?

Looks good!
Looking forward to watching you go forward.
I used AutoCAD. I considered using Sketchup, but I'm pretty rusty on that, so I went with Old Faithful. I use CAD every day, so I could do it in my sleep.

I used AutoCAD. I considered using Sketchup, but I'm pretty rusty on that, so I went with Old Faithful. I use CAD every day, so I could do it in my sleep.
I'm rusty on them all :gig and just abut everything.
After using solid modeling, wireframe makes my eyes cross.
(have both ACAD Mechanical and Inventor)

Got my roof joists put on today. I used hurricane ties for most of the attachment points.
20210109_134933.jpg

This coop is tall (probably too tall, really), so I wanted to do as much work as I could on the ground before climbing the ladder. So I made a little piece just the right size (calculated the length so the front and back overhangs would be the same), and marked each joist before nailing a tie to it.
20210109_135028.jpg
20210109_135010.jpg
20210109_132205.jpg

Took a little break for lunch, while my assistants guarded against thieves.
20210109_135630.jpg

I promise, I only dropped these a "couple" times while getting them nailed into place.

20210109_142618.jpg

The plan for tomorrow is 1) freeze my butt off. 2) get the plywood, battens, and corrugated roofing installed. 3) defrost my butt.

Back
Top Bottom