DIY 6 Gallon Feeder for $9

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Phantom_Rooster, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Phantom_Rooster

Phantom_Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    NW Louisiana
    The parts are all from Walmart. The 6 gallon container is a bulk storage container with lid found in the plastic storage isle. The cost is under $5. The galvanized metal pan is located in the pet department as a pet feeder/waterer. The cost is under $3. I drilled 1 1/2" holes with a hole saw with the hole approximately 2" from the top of the hole to the bottom of the container. They are space fairly close all around. Then, I match drilled 3 small holes (about 3/16") through the bottom of the container and the metal pan. Then, I drilled 3 more holes in the metal pan so that I could use electrical ties to assemble them together. You can't tighten the electrical ties too tight or the hole in the thin metal pan will cut them off. You could use baling wire instead. Now, that's it. You now have a 6 gallon feeder for cheap. The lid snaps on really well. Now, you can keep the chickens well fed and you can take a break from feeding so often. Enjoy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  2. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    Very nice feeder. Thanks for sharing.

3. Renie'sPeeps

Renie'sPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Orford, NH
    Pretty cool... My mice and chipmunks would have an express lane to that baby in no time... lol

4. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Wow! great idea.... I need one of those!

5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Very cool my brother!! [​IMG]

6. Lowe5749

Lowe5749 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    Union South Carolina
    Nice feeder! You can get free 5 gallon buckets from the mexican n chinese restaurants down here, im gonna have to do that!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by