DIY Automatic chicken door opener wiring help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Talarigo, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Talarigo

Talarigo New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    I would appreciate any assistance offerred.
    Here's the scenerio:

Goal: I need to make an electric drill spin clockwise at a particular time and counterclockwise at another time. This drill is being used to open and close a door to my chicken coop.

Here's what I have:

* 1 reversible drill - This drill uses an AC universal series motor with 4 wires... 2 to the Armature (A1, A2) and 2 to the Field (F1, F2). Clockwise (A2/F1 A1/Line F2/Neutral) -- CounterClockwise (A2/F2 A1/Line F1/Neutral) This wiring works, I hope it makes sense.
    * 1 DPDT relay - here's what the pinout looks like: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17610_relay1.jpg
    3 SPDT switches - 1 to stop the motor when door is up and 1 to stop it when down and the 3rd as a safety in case it goes too high (don't know if I really need the 3rd one?)
    * 1 or more power sources - I can have as many sources of power as necessary.
    * 1 or more timers.

Could you please describe the wiring to achieve the goal?

Plain english, if you will. Thanks!!

2. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Hi Talarigo! First of all, [​IMG]

I sent this to my hubby to look at. He's an EE. I'll let you know if he has any ideas. May not be today, he's traveling on business.

[​IMG] Unless it is a personal challenge, why don't you just buy a door motor? It seems a lot easier and probably less expensive in the long run too. Just my two cents. [​IMG]

Anyway, I'll respond back later.

E/

3. Talarigo

Talarigo New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    Hi Green_Eggs_and_Ham,

Thanks for the welcome... excited to be part of the community. I'd appreciate any help your husband can provide. As for doing it myself, I just enjoy doing these kind of things. Might not always be the most economical way to approach it, but I like to use what I have... anytime I remove/re-purpose/dispose of items from my cluttered garage, I get the thumbs-up from the wife [​IMG].

T

4. Green_Eggs_and_Ham

Green_Eggs_and_Ham Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    He says he can't til he gets home from his trip. We'll see.

Yes, I agree with the re-purposing. I definitely like it when we save something from the landfill. [​IMG]

Keep surfing the web. I've seen this idea before. Or maybe it was a car antenna. Or both... I dunno.

E/

5. Talarigo

Talarigo New Egg

Jun 27, 2011
    Just an update... I had a couple of hours one evening and figured out the wiring myself. Wasn't too difficult. The design is easy to replicate and uses a cheap corded drill (got one free from my dad), a relay ($8 Radio Shack, 2 switches ($3 ea. Radio Shack also), and 1 timer (the mechanical ones are about <$10 @ HD), and some cord wiring like from a floor lamp. Once I have everything together I'll post some pics and details. Hope this will help others save some $$.

BTW, Just found out my favorite chicken, Moonshine (columbian wyandotte), is a "He". Very upset since our township (Lower Merion of Wynnewood, PA) doesn't allow roos. Now the process to try and find him a home. If anyone reads this post and knows of a place in Eastern PA that takes roosters -- NOT for meat --, I would really appreciate hearing about it! This bird is a lap-chicken -- will come over and jump up on my lap and hang out. Just the nicest bird.

6. PepNorm

PepNorm New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    I see that you figured out the wiring. Just what was the solution? Thank you

7. domtracey

domtracey Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    london UK
    Any pics of the finished item :D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  8. bretski

bretski New Egg

Feb 5, 2012
    Fort Collins, CO
    ^ +1.

I'd love to see your finished product!