1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DIY automatic chicken door ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by harbisgirl, Mar 26, 2012.

1. harbisgirl

harbisgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    N. Cal
    Has anybody made a DIY automatic chicken door? I would love to buy one but they are just so darn expensive! With all the handy and creative peeps on this forum, I thought maybe someone had built one themselves.

2. ScottM

ScottM Chillin' With My Peeps

I made one, all u have to do is pull the string and it automatically opens :lol:

But seriously I'd be interested too

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Read about an old farmer that used a wind up alarm clock and a string. Set the alarm each night for a certain time each morning and when the alarm went off the key would turn and wind the string up, thus opening the pop door.

I love that kind of ingenuity!

1 person likes this.
  4. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Oh my goodness, that's brilliant!!!

5. Taglienti07

Taglienti07 New Egg

Mar 27, 2012
    Streator, Il
    I am trying to construct one right now using the motor, gearbox, and circuit board from a paper shredder. It can lift about 30 lbs! I need to figure out how to wire it to switch from forward to reverse at each close/open. Any advice would be much appreciated!

1 person likes this.
  6. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    You might consider checking Instructables.com. I am sure that someone there has built one, probably from a paper clip or some other incredible source. Seriously, there is at least one using an arduino for controlling the motor.

Chris

7. harbisgirl

Oct 4, 2011
    N. Cal
    Great idea - I love instructables.com

8. harbisgirl

Oct 4, 2011
    N. Cal
  9. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

To assemble mine, I used one of the add a motor controllers, string, a piece of plexiglass, a timer, and scrap wood for the groves for the plexiglass to slide in. The whole thing was around $100. Initially I thought it was too much, but now that I get to sleep in and stay out late, I feel it has been money well spent. A picture of the controller set up is in the link a page about my coop under my avatar over to the left.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  10. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I'm trying to do the same. I'm want to use an old unworking solar motion light. The only thing bad is the motion part. But the battery is a 6 volt. It charges fine and the light works. Now to find the motor to run on 1.5 V. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by