1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DIY Chicken Poop Sifter (Concrete Mixer)

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by jordanb003, Sep 18, 2016.

1. jordanb003

jordanb003 New Egg

Aug 8, 2016
    Hawaii
    Aloha All,
    I wanted to share something I whipped up this weekend.l with everyone.
    Basically I was tired of manually sifting sand...so I had a bright idea to modify a concrete mixer to do the work for me. I purchased a Kobalt mixer from Lowes for $299, drilled a few hundred holes (easy since the bucket isn't metal but plastic), made a new stand to replace the bulky three legged tripod, and now I have a sand sifter that is super efficient and doesn't break the back to clean the run. It takes up limited space...isn't very loud...and works effectively. I started off with 1/4" holes to see how that worked and so far so good. It's a little slow...but the pile that it produces is really clean. It sifts through wet or dry sand I just have to knock the bucket occasionally to free the holes of it's loaded with wet sand. Last photo is a before and after. Just wanted to share!
    Here's a YouTube video of the poop sifter
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7577845/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited by staff

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2016
  2. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Thank you for sharing this tip with us!! Very helpful and informative.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by