1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

DIY cooler bator temperature question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RosieR, Jun 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RosieR

RosieR Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi friends,
    Trying to make sure I do this right.
    I’ve got a thermostat that I can keep steady from 99-100 degrees. But I’m trying to make sure it’s calibrated properly.
    It’s probe sits just under the egg turner. I have a calibrated thermometer resting just on top of the egg turner, with its probe nestled inside a homemade water wiggler.
    Is my goal to get my thermometer to get a fairly constant 99.5 degrees?

Other info: bator is heated by a light bulb and has forced air and vent holes top and bottom.

Thank you for any insight :)

2. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler Premium Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    Put the probe and thermometer together above the egg rack. Heat rises so you want to make sure temp is correct and not too hot above. I had a few problems on placement before I got it right.

RosieR likes this.
  3. RosieR

RosieR Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Ok so I’ve got 2 thermometers in there. A food one that I calibrated in ice bath, and a digital one that I calibrated from the food one.
    The food thermometer is reading 100.5ish (the dial is hard to read) its probe is in a water wiggler, and the digital is reading 99. They are sitting next to each other on the egg turner. Am I close or do I need to do more tweaking?
    Sorry for being so nitpicky. I lost my last batch of eggs so im trying to be super careful about details.

4. AlleysChicks

AlleysChicks Enabler Premium Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Ohio
    Yep you’re good. I lost my first because I used a dimmer switch. Temp would be steady then overnight jump to 110.

5. RosieR

RosieR Songster

Apr 4, 2018
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for your help! The digital is getting a fairly steady 99.3 and the one in the wiggler is at a very steady 100.5. I’ve been checking them for a few hours tonight so I’m confident it is consistent anyways :)
    Setting eggs tomorrow :yesss:

AlleysChicks likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: