Diy coop. Help req

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by plecostrum, Sep 19, 2010.

1. plecostrum

plecostrum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    Start to finish is here
    http://m165.photobucket.com/albums/...VNb6G05t/9Uc2bXPFl/8e6XC5/+QHCDE//xoJYz5Q2Eo=
    http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u43/plecostrum/chicken coop/fd314666.jpg
    That is the album but link to one photo
    Please click
    On album see how I made it

Very diy Made out of scrap wood from skips
    Im a woman with some diy skills I own power tools so thought have a gololol

Very rustic lol

Ventilation and a door? Ok I should of thought of these earlier but I didn't

Need sizes for pop hole? Bantams

70mm snake vents for front black strip x 3. Back small top triangle adding a door to open is it enough
    Should I vent the hen boxes. I added 6" hole circle but it is removable

Do you think my perch is too high? How high should it be?

So any help first coop never had chooks before

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'll try a few of these.

Need sizes for pop hole? Bantams

I made mine 12" x 12" for full sized chickens. This is plenty big enough for them. If you ever plan to get full sized chickens, I'd suggest this size. For Bantams, you can probably go smaller, say 8" x 8", but larger won't hurt.

Should I vent the hen boxes. I added 6" hole circle but it is removable

You want the nest boxes to be fairly dark. I know, many hens will lay out in the open in the bright light, but most tend to like places that look a bit safer from predators and like they are kinda hidden. I think a small vent high up won't hurt at all and may be a good idea if your nest box is in the sun where it can heat up, but if it is inside where it is protected from the sun, probably not necessary.

Do you think my perch is too high? How high should it be?

The roost should be clearly the highest thing in the coop. They usually like to roost on the highest thing they can get on. I think 12" higher than the top of the nest boxes works well, just to throw out a number, but mine are almost 2 feet higher. I like to keep the roosts as low as possible. Chickens can hurt themselves when getting down from a roost in the morning. This usually affects the heavier breeds a lot more than bantams, so don't worry about this too much if yours are bantams. The higher the roost, the more horizontal room they need to fly down without hitting walls, nest boxes, feeders, whatever. I've had 14 week old full sized chicks fly off my 4 foot high roosts, make a 90 degree left and fly out an open door, and your bantams will be better flyers than my full sized chicks, so don't worry about it too much, but it is something to consider. Another reason for having the roosts low is that I like a lot of ventilation at the top of my coop. If the roosts are low enough, I can have a strip all the way around my coop just under the roof open for ventilation (covered with hardware cloth to stop predators) and they can roost without being in any draft.

Hope this helps some. Good luck!

3. plecostrum

plecostrum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    ENGLAND UK
    The first photobucket should be the album

Thankyou for your response

I will have a run also not built it yet

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    I think you did a real good job on it way to use recycled materials. your chicks will think its a castle! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by