DIY coop prices

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenman4131, Mar 4, 2014.

1. chickenman4131

chickenman4131 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    I was going to build a 6x6 coop for 25 hens. I know everyone says it's a lot cheaper to build your own coop. My budget was 500 dollars. Would that be enough

2. ClovisMan

ClovisMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2014
    New Braunfels, TX
    it depends alot on what you use. If you source a bunch of free pallets, then yes it should be fine. I'm building an 8x12 and will have about 800 dollars in it once its all said in done. Thats just the coop...not including the run I'm going to build. I used all new lumber from Home Depot you might get a beter deal at a larger lumber yard.

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG]
    Already have the run but this 4X6X7ft tall and it came in at $250, habit for humanity restore has a lot of good deals, home depot and Lowe's has a 70 percent off rack with slightly damaged lumber, if you hunt around you can have a reasonable budget.

4. shmeggs

shmeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2013
    im building a 8x8 coop right now.im going to have around $250 in my new one. im using mostly new lumber but did use some used lumber and also leftover lumber from building a deck on the back of the house. but still much cheaper than buying one plus much stronger.

5. chickenlady772

chickenlady772 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    Vero Beach , Florida
    I ended up using some pallets and between the run and plywood I came in at 350. For a 4×6 coop with a 4×12 run. Not including the shingles and painting left.

6. biga

biga Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2013
    Decatur ,AL
    i'm almost done with my 4x8 coop. so far i have $4 invested. hahahahahha, helps to work at a lumber supply company. i will have to spend some real money to get the metal roof and paint (about $60 for both) but i'll be done after that.

[​IMG]

7. NanoRon

NanoRon New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    I acquired several shipping crates. One of which was nearly intact. (See photo.) It's dimensions are ~3' x 8'. My plan is to take one of the other bases and put them side-by-side and make it a 6 x 8 coop.

I wanted to just put the panels on and call the shell done, but I'm afraid the 3' width is a bit too narrow. My intended flock is ~18. Starting with 18, anyway. Hopefully roosters and mortality won't reduce my intended laying flock by too much.

The base is a nice-looking piece of plywood. The sides are particle board. Not the nice kind, from what I can tell. I plan to paint or otherwise seal it for the summer. Probably insulating or siding it before winter.

Comments/suggestions are welcome.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by