DIY Coop Questions

davealden43

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2019
Hello All,

New to chickens, getting four from a friend *soon* (when I finish my coop/run). I started working on my project in the fall and everything got put on hold, but I want to get this finished relatively soon now. Anyway, I was originally given a small coop which I decided was too small so I recycled some pallets and some other supplies I had and have built a chicken palace (sort of). The pics show where I'm at today, and I've got "plans" for the rest (obviously inner walls, etc) but I'm looking for some guidance on two specific parts.

First, the floor will be covered in linoleum and then covered with straw or whatever (TBD)... the nesting boxes will be built off the back and will have a hatch to access and will be removable for interior coop cleaning. I guess for 4 chicks I should have two boxes each about 1ft x 1ft x 1ft (correct me if that's wrong). Should the nesting boxes be at the same level as the floor? Up a couple of inches or more? Down a couple of inches? Does it matter? (the coop overall will be raised about 1ft off the ground)

Next, the roost bar... should I use a tree branch (roughly 3in diameter) or 2x4 (which side up), and how high should it be off of the floor? Will one bar be good for 4 chickens?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• coop3.jpg
    coop3.jpg
    847.3 KB · Views: 16
  • coop2.jpg
    coop2.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 13
  • coop1.jpg
    coop1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Great start. I've got a 2x3 on its side for roost. I put it on its side because it gets really cold here, and it easier for the ladies to cover there feet.
My nest boxes are about 16" off the floor. I want the floor space, and it's easy to clean under them.

I too use 2x3's for my roost with the wide side up. As for the nest boxes, wherever you put them, be sure they are LOWER than the roost, of you'll have chickens trying to sleep in them. I figure 10-12" of roost per chicken. No matter what, they will all huddle to one side or another, but having the space for them to sprawl out is good.

Hello All,

New to chickens, getting four from a friend *soon* (when I finish my coop/run). I started working on my project in the fall and everything got put on hold, but I want to get this finished relatively soon now. Anyway, I was originally given a small coop which I decided was too small so I recycled some pallets and some other supplies I had and have built a chicken palace (sort of). The pics show where I'm at today, and I've got "plans" for the rest (obviously inner walls, etc) but I'm looking for some guidance on two specific parts.

First, the floor will be covered in linoleum and then covered with straw or whatever (TBD)... the nesting boxes will be built off the back and will have a hatch to access and will be removable for interior coop cleaning. I guess for 4 chicks I should have two boxes each about 1ft x 1ft x 1ft (correct me if that's wrong). Should the nesting boxes be at the same level as the floor? Up a couple of inches or more? Down a couple of inches? Does it matter? (the coop overall will be raised about 1ft off the ground)

Next, the roost bar... should I use a tree branch (roughly 3in diameter) or 2x4 (which side up), and how high should it be off of the floor? Will one bar be good for 4 chickens?

Thanks in advance!
That looks great! I used a 2 x 3 for my roosts, wide side up, 4 ft should be good for four full grown chickens. One of the main things you should definitely add is a poop board and it will make cleanup a breeze. I have the poop board elevated about 2 1/2 feet and the roost is about a foot and a half above that and then I can put my nesting boxes right underneath the poop board. It works out really great and my coop is always clean with very little effort.
47A8ED5A-6BF0-41F9-8B05-C4A976578975.jpeg

I guess for 4 chicks I should have two boxes each about 1ft x 1ft x 1ft (correct me if that's wrong). Should the nesting boxes be at the same level as the floor? Up a couple of inches or more? Down a couple of inches? Does it matter? (the coop overall will be raised about 1ft off the ground)

12" cubed is fine, personally I like bigger but as long as the chickens aren't giants they should fit fine.

Nesting boxes can be as high or low as you want. If you go up higher roost needs to be moved higher to compensate (plus you'd need some sort of landing bar for them to land on to get in). Mine are sitting on the floor, with skids that puts the bottom of the lip about 2" off the floor.

Either option above should be fine for a roost bar choice. You optimally want around 12" of roost space per bird so as long as the one bar is long enough for that, then just one will do.

Also out of curiosity, where will your ventilation be? Is the fourth wall going to be wire mesh?

12" cubed is fine, personally I like bigger but as long as the chickens aren't giants they should fit fine.

Nesting boxes can be as high or low as you want. If you go up higher roost needs to be moved higher to compensate (plus you'd need some sort of landing bar for them to land on to get in). Mine are sitting on the floor, with skids that puts the bottom of the lip about 2" off the floor.

Either option above should be fine for a roost bar choice. You optimally want around 12" of roost space per bird so as long as the one bar is long enough for that, then just one will do.

Also out of curiosity, where will your ventilation be? Is the fourth wall going to be wire mesh?

if you look at the pic “coop2.jpg" you'll see a big open area in the front. That's going to be a window with hardware cloth behind that I'll be able to open/close as needed and I'm going to have some vents in the triangular boards for cross ventilation. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom