1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DIY dust bath?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by xmissjadie, Jun 24, 2011.

1. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    My chickens have been trying to dust bathe in their bedding that is in their coop. I want to make a place for them where they can dust bathe. Anyone tried this before? Maybe a kids sandbox? Would I use dirt from my yard or something else? Thanks!

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, many people do that. You can use a cat litter box, an old kids pool, or anything in between. The sandbox sounds perfect. I got a utility tub thing from the hardware store for my run. You can put sand or dirt in it and some people mix Food Grade Diatomaecous Earth (DE) (NOT THE KIND FOR POOLS) and/or wood ashes in there for extra mite control.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  3. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a kitty litter plastic tub for my tractor. I just put sand for the sand box in it. A pool would work too.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    We're in process of sand boxing in the kids swing/playset for dual purpose bath and kids sand box. The two things ruining the yard are feet dragging on the swing and chickens making a bath. Of course then the kids dig in the chicken baths and drag dirt all over the yard, porch...sometimes into the house...

5. cnvh

cnvh New Egg

May 29, 2011
    We have our 3 hens in a chicken tractor, so there's really no option for a permanent dust bath. I have some sand in a flat horse feed pan (about 18" in diameter, maybe 5-6" deep) that I put in with them every couple of days.

6. xmissjadie

xmissjadie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Eugene, Oregon
    Thanks for the ideas! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by