DIY Feeder/waterer Pros/Cons?

Lor

Crowing
Mar 23, 2022
South East USA
Found this video on youtube that I thought interesting for feeder/waterer. Looking for input--pros/cons.
I'm more interested in the waterer for the ducks but thought it might work if we went away for a weekend for the chickens too.
Also, anything similar you might have tried?

That waterer does look cool. I would be a little concerned it would be top heavy (but that can be solved by securing it somehow), or that it would be hard to move around the 6 gallon jugs to fill it (but you would be filling it less often).

I'm not sure how well it would work for food. I would be worried that food would get stuck up in it and you would have to shake it down all the time, but I guess you would need to make it to see for sure.

Cool designs either way.

That waterer does look cool. I would be a little concerned it would be top heavy (but that can be solved by securing it somehow), or that it would be hard to move around the 6 gallon jugs to fill it (but you would be filling it less often).

I'm not sure how well it would work for food. I would be worried that food would get stuck up in it and you would have to shake it down all the time, but I guess you would need to make it to see for sure.

Cool designs either way.
Top heavy was my first concern. If we consider it we would use 3 gallon jugs.

Or secure it to a post or other sturdy object with a bungee cord.
IMG_20230528_081513453~2.jpg

Good thinking. That would work better I am sure.

I just paid $40 something for a metal waterer. Prices are astronomical these days, so it is definitely worth trying that design out.

Good thinking. That would work better I am sure.

I just paid $40 something for a metal waterer. Prices are astronomical these days, so it is definitely worth trying that design out.
Ouch! Prices are going up on everything.
I need something with big enough holes for the ducks to clean their nares.

I use a 4ft plastic kiddie pool which they Muddy up in no time and put out a few of those 12 inch tall tubs they use for cattle feed supplement which they typically won't swim in because they have the pool.
I also put a drain in the pool, with 40 ft of pvc and a valve just outside the run to make cleaning a breeze and keep their run dry and the stench down.
As for feeding, I'm looking to build something automatic with a time because my Pekins are like the Cornish crosses of the duck world!
I just built a feeder for my chickens and turkeys though. It should hold them for 3 weeks. I plan to use a 250g tote for their watering system which is next week's project.

Attachments

• 20230517_160240.jpg
    20230517_160240.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230604_173349.jpg
    20230604_173349.jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230604_173413.jpg
    20230604_173413.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 18
I use a 4ft plastic kiddie pool which they Muddy up in no time and put out a few of those 12 inch tall tubs they use for cattle feed supplement which they typically won't swim in because they have the pool.
I also put a drain in the pool, with 40 ft of pvc and a valve just outside the run to make cleaning a breeze and keep their run dry and the stench down.
As for feeding, I'm looking to build something automatic with a time because my Pekins are like the Cornish crosses of the duck world!
I just built a feeder for my chickens and turkeys though. It should hold them for 3 weeks. I plan to use a 250g tote for their watering system which is next week's project.
It's a good plan.

I'd stay away from the commercial feeders like this and go with a homemade version like in the original post if you are on a tight budget, and that is a very clever watering solution BTW.

Spending big bucks for a commercial feeder that isn't ratproof is foolish when you can make one out of PVC fittings and a bucket. That will get you by until the rodents or wild birds find the coop. At that point you begin paying for a good treadle feeder whether you have one or not. But a lot of folks get by for years without attracting rodents so you might be one of the lucky ones.

Back
Top Bottom