DIY flytrap

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amiga, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This is not my design, I found it online and was asked to explain how I did it. If I could recall, I would credit the person or organization who shared the idea.

I cut through (like a cross-section) a two liter clear plastic soda pop bottle about a third of the way from the top. I turned the top (no cap) upside down and slid it into the bottom until it was just snug.

I put old wet cat food and an inch or two of water in the bottom.

It took a few days to get going, but flies were drawn to the smell and drowned. The more flies that drowned, the more came.

I empty it when it seems full into a compost pile a little way from the house (it really is whiffy when you are holding it near you).

I refill the bait and let it go again for some weeks.

The tricky part for me is getting the bait just right. I tried duck droppings but it did not attract nearly as many flies as rotting meat.

I place it out of reach of children and pets, but not far from the duck pen.

2. LuckyDuck411

LuckyDuck411 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Indianapolis
  3. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    I have natural fly traps. They look like this:
    [​IMG]

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Amiga...You will have to post pics of your babies all grown up...Pretty Pleeeeeze.. TY

5. chicken boy sam

chicken boy sam Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Amiga.....do you have any pictures? Your instructions are kind of hard to understand. The flies are crazy near my chicken coop!

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I've seen at the feed store and home depot little trap attachment you simply screw onto a soda bottle. It's the same concept flys go in, but cannot figure how to get out. I have the regular one you find at the grocery store, and boy does it stink, but it fills up nicely.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    chicken boy sam,

I found something even better - the instructions I almost followed! I did not make a wire hanger.

http://ecobites.com/component/content/732?task=view

gofasterstripe, I am working on getting some video up this weekend of the ducks doing their "work" in the gardens.

Mysticalmom, I have a few runners who dart after flies and catch a number of them, but they don't wander the whole yard due to predator concerns, so I have this backup system. The flies we have (and had long before the ducks arrived) hang out in the yew bushes nearby. Go figure.

8. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Well, they are yEEEEEEWW bushes![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by