DIY Ideas to keep chickens from sitting on waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by LogCabinChicks, Jan 23, 2015.

1. LogCabinChicks

LogCabinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Other than buying a triangle cone for the top of the fount, does anybody have any DIY ideas for keeping chickens from sitting on top of the waterer? There is always a poop or two in the water from my chickens sitting on top of the fount [​IMG]...drives me bonkers. [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don’t know what your waterer looks like, but maybe hang a plastic milk jug over it so they don’t have room to sit up there. If it is outside where the wind will blow it around, put some dirt in it to give it weight.

3. LogCabinChicks

LogCabinChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
  4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the same principle as a funnel, but I cut the bottom off of a 5 gallon water bottle.

The top makes an excellent large funnel, also good for filling tractor tank with fuel.

5. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Is this the post you meant?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/631861/diy-thread-lets-see-your-inventions/110#post_8629081

We use a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples. The bucket sits on cinder blocks. To keep them from roosting or knocking over the bucket (especially in winter when their is a heater in the bucket), I loosely suspend the bucket handle from a rafter. This works like a charm. The brick on the lid is to keep the lid on more snugly, as it's a lid from a slightly different bucket and doesn't snap on tight.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by