DIY Incubator. Need info?

jwatts

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011

This is my DIY incu that i have recently put together, I have been testing it to get ready for incubating. I have been having pretty good temp holdings. I have 2 incuwarehouse thermometers in it. I have been holding about 99.2-100.5 on both thermos at its lowest and highest marks. Will chicks still grow/hatch at 99.2? I have noticed once and a while the temp recently has dipped to 98.3 on the lower egg turning tray. I don't understand why, no water was added nor was door open. Could this be a faulty wafer thermo? should i change the Wafer? Im not sure if this was just a glitch or not. The fan is pretty powerful, but i notice the top tray seems to be slightly warmer than the bottom by about .5-1 deg. any info would be greatly appriciated. thank you

Yes they may take a smidge longer to hatch though.
Not sure on the temp. dip thing

Agreed, and not sure why the temps are dipping either. I will say that when I open the incubator to add water or candle, my temp drops to about 98˚F, which happens 2x a day. I think it's a normal dip and won't affect hatch. I also believe that it's the average temp of the incubator that determines the incubation time, so as long as you still average out to 99.5˚F you'll be fine. Looks like a great setup.

I have been checking temp for the last 1.5 hrs. and it seems to be holding 99.3-100.4 ( lowest and higest ) i hope it stays there!! Im not sure if the trays go in the other direction if its changing the air flow but i would think it should still hold the temp. Who knows..

Have you calibrated both thermometers to make sure they read exactly the same? Also, the bottom being colder by a bit is normal, heat rises. Your temps are fine, lower temp is better then higher temp.

Very nice looking build! Beats the socks off of my cooler build

Now i feel like i asked a stupid question.lol i didnt even think of that!!!! I was thinking there was a lengthly process of calibration..

Now i feel like i asked a stupid question.lol      i didnt even think of that!!!!   I was thinking there was a lengthly process of calibration..

Haha , yeah it's a simple process. How ever off your thermometer is from 32 is what your adjustment will be for that thermometer. Just make a note on the thermometer and your good to go.

Nice job on incubator and I wouldn't worry about temp swing ive got a cabinet one too and I think it just has to do with the way air circulates in it,I've tried moving my fan around but it seems to get too warm or too cold in certain areas so I just left it in a stop where it holds the steadiest temps

Back
Top Bottom